Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do YOU scroll through hundreds of photos & move good ones to a separate folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do YOU scroll through hundreds of photos & move good ones to a separate folde

You can drag a directory into gnome-terminal.

So type cd, then drag the directory into the terminal and you will be there after you hit enter.

Also, you can use tab completion -

eg if you have a directory
    Code:
     ~/Photos/My\ Daughters\ 3rd\ Birthday\ Party
    Just type

Code:
    feh -options ~/Ph
    then hit Tab

You will get

Code:
    feh -options ~/Photos
    Type My

so you get

Code:
    feh -options ~/Photos/My
    then hit Tab again which should give you the whole path

Code:
    ~/Photos/ My\ Daughters\ 3rd\ Birthday\ Party
    Also, the bash shorthand for the current directory is . (a full stop/period)

So if you are in the directory you want to be in, having dragged it into the terminal, you can type

Code:
    feh -options .
    If you have a lot of these directories you want to go through, and you are going to spend some time on this, then put an alias in your .bashrc.

Code:
    gedit ~/.bashrc
    Put a line like this at the end
    Code:
    alias slide='feh -rzF -D 3 ./'
    Save, close, then type
    Code:
     . ~/.bashrc
    From now on, if you are in the directory you want to view, just type
    Code:
    slide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do YOU scroll through hundreds of photos & move good ones to a separate folde

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Code:
    feh -options ~/Photos
    I've been using "feh" daily and I just love it. It's not user friendly without the nautilus terminal, but, with nautilus terminal, there's no problem opening up a terminal window in the directory of the photos.

In a sub directory of the photos, to move the ones I like best, here's what I do now:

Code:
    1st, navigate to the photo folder in the Gnome GUI
    2nd, I create a sub-folder, e.g., "bestpics"
    3rd, I navigate to that bestpics folder & right click to "Open in terminal" 
    4th, at the prompt, I type:  $ feh -F -A "mv %f ./%n" ..
    What this does is show the photos in the directory just above (..) in full-screen mode (-F) as I hit the "space" bar to navigate through the photo set. When I see a great picture, I simply hit the "enter" key, which then executes the action (A) which, in this case, is to run the command "mv %f ./%n".

That moves the selected file (%f) to the current directory (./) and keeps the same file name "%f" as it was prior.

I just love simple solutions to common problems!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the record, curbuntuforums provided a great syntactic hint for operating on photos on the fly over here:
    - Is there an extension to "Eye of Gnome" to RENAME or DELETE pictures while viewing?

Code:
    $ feh *.jpg --action1 "rm %f" --action2 "mv %f ./good/." --action3 "cp %f ./good/.; mv %f ./bad/"
    Using that command, while viewing the file in Feh, pressing the "1" keyboard key will delete the file; pressing the "2" button will move the file to the "good" folder; and pressing the "3" button will both copy the file and move it.

Nice!

In addition, in Feh, "control delete" also deletes the file.

We're not sure how to rename files on the fly, but a clever script might somehow take keyboard input ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12