Thread: Memory Exhausted

Beans

Memory Exhausted

Hi,

I am running an Ubuntu server and I have a file called update.php in the web directory.

When I access the file with internet explorer on another computer on the local network, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 104857600 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 62 bytes) in /var/www/update.php on line 10

The code in the file is below:-

<?php$table = 'lookup';
    mysql_connect(localhost,'cpg','Nominal1');
    @mysql_select_db('cpg') or die("Unable to connect");
    $colheadings = 1;
    $deleterecords = "TRUNCATE TABLE '$table'";
    mysql_query($deleterecords);
    $pass=0;
    $fail=0;
    $filecontents=file("$table.csv"); # Line 10
    for($i=$colheadings; $i<sizeof($filecontents);$i++){$insertrecord = "Insert into '$table' Values ($filecontents[$i])";mysql_query($insertrecord);if(mysql_error()){$f ail+=1;}else{$pass += 1;}}echo "Fails = $fail and passes = $pass";
    ?>

When I first ran the program the error stated that the memory of 16mb were exhausted (tried to allocate 56mb). I changed the limit at /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini from 16mb to 128mb. I now get the error above.The csv file that I am accessing is about 60mb and is located on the server.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John.
    Last edited by John_Needs_help; November 19th, 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Make it look neater. Easier to read.

Beans

Re: Memory Exhausted

Loading that entire .csv file into an in-memory array will take a huge amount of memory. You could increase the memory limit further, or you change that script to process the file one line at a time.

Or you could use the MySQL query LOAD DATA INFILE:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/load-data.html

Personally, I've found it easier to use the MySQL command line client when handling large amounts of data.

Beans

Re: Memory Exhausted

Dave_L,

Thanks for your prompt reply and sound advice. I have used the load data infile and it is now working.

Regards,

John.