Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Resize the WUBI virtual disk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Resize the WUBI virtual disk

Quote Originally Posted by coldjeanz View Post
    Haha sorry for sounding slow, but how would I go about doing all that . Which one of those methods would you recommend?
    I think every situation is different (hard to say which is best). In my case, I have a separate NTFS partition for data since they don't 'belong' to either Ubuntu or Windows (and sharing is easier on NTFS). I haven't bothered setting up links mainly because I don't spend a lot of time working with them.
    With a Wubi install, you have easy access to your data under /host/... and it's already mounted and accessible - so pretty simple to share.

Here's a nice post by oldfred that might help setup links and help you decide what to do: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...07&postcount=4

Beans

Oh wow I had no idea all I had to do was click on the host folder and I could access all my files on Windows. That's really handy. Now I can just save all my data into host right? Since the hard drive space there is so much larger.

Thank you for that information, great help

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: Resize the WUBI virtual disk

Thank you very much. It works very well!!

Beans

Get this error no matter what I do:

Code:
    rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.8]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dalladubb View Post
    Get this error no matter what I do:

Code:
    rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.8]
    That normally happens if you're working while rsync is copying files e.g. on your browser and it's manipulating your cache. So it's best to let the copy run without working.

However, it's a bit of a pain to have to restart each time so I've built in a --resume option specifically for copying errors, where you can continue where you left off (usually after correcting, but in your case there's nothing you can correct - just try to resist the urge to do stuff). If you feel like trying this you can get it here: https://github.com/bcbc/Wubi-resize/zipball/Proposed (That's the version I've been using that will be released soon when 12.04 comes out - note it will still fail for error code 24, but you can --resume and it doesn't have to copy everything again so it's quick)

The only other thing you can do is to modify the script to ignore error code 24:
    i.e. change this:

Code:
      rsync "$rsync_opts" --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/host/*' --exclude '/mnt/*' --exclude '/media/*/*' --exclude '/tmp/*' --exclude '/home/*/.gvfs' --exclude '/root/.gvfs' --exclude '/var/lib/lightdm/.gvfs' / $target
      if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
         echo "$0: Copying files failed or was canceled" 
      fi
    To this:
    Code:
      rsync "$rsync_opts" --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/host/*' --exclude '/mnt/*' --exclude '/media/*/*' --exclude '/tmp/*' --exclude '/home/*/.gvfs' --exclude '/root/.gvfs' --exclude '/var/lib/lightdm/.gvfs' / $target
      if [ "$?" != 0 ] && [ "$?" != 24 ]; then
         echo "$0: Copying files failed or was canceled" 
      fi
    Last edited by bcbc; March 7th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Beans

Thanks. I did what you said about leaving it and it failed 3 more times before I realized I had wallch going. It's a desktop wallpaper slideshow similar to Windows 7's desktop slideshow.

When I disabled that it went like butter. Maybe you could throw a warning a warning in your OP to disable active apps like desktop wallpaper slideshow apps.

Other than that, thank you very much for this incredibly useful script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks. I did what you said about leaving it and it failed 3 more times before I realized I had wallch going. It's a desktop wallpaper slideshow similar to Windows 7's desktop slideshow.

When I disabled that it went like butter. Maybe you could throw a warning a warning in your OP to disable active apps like desktop wallpaper slideshow apps.

Other than that, thank you very much for this incredibly useful script.
    Okay - great you got it sorted out, and you're welcome for the script.

I'm thinking I should just put a permanent bypass on return code 24 from rsync. I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where it indicates a serious problem, and so far it does just seem to be a nuisance. Thanks for your feedback!

Beans

Maybe put in an optional ignore, similar to verbose asking you to continue each step. Maybe echo a message like like:

WARNING: rsync encountered an error 24 (Some files vanished before they could be transferred). This is probably nothing, however there is a small chance something important caused this error. Continue? (Enter to continue, CRTL+C to abort):

That would be my suggestion. That way the user has a choice and is warned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Maybe put in an optional ignore, similar to verbose asking you to continue each step. Maybe echo a message like like:

WARNING: rsync encountered an error 24 (Some files vanished before they could be transferred). This is probably nothing, however there is a small chance something important caused this error. Continue? (Enter to continue, CRTL+C to abort):

That would be my suggestion. That way the user has a choice and is warned.
    Exit code 24 is "Partial transfer due to vanished source files". I don't think that's serious enough to warrant even a warning. Basically either the user deleted a file (in which case it's not needed) or some running process has removed a temporary file. On that subject, I have to wonder why a screensaver needs to write and delete files - seems a bit unnecessary. I know that Chrome does a lot of caching activity - that's why I normally get a 24 if I'm surfing while I wait for it to complete.

So that's why I'm leaning towards ignoring it. But if I did give a choice it'd have to be a Y/N (not Ctrl+C) because I have to do a little cleanup (like unmounting the virtual disk) on exit.

Beans

I think Wallch uses a temp folder and a batch copy of the folder of pics I point it at and deletes each file as it's cycled out to avoid repeats before batch copying again once it runs out.

It's kind of old.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast