Thread: Nice forum, nice documentation for Ubuntu, and easy transition from Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nice forum, nice documentation for Ubuntu, and easy transition from Windows

I want to say I really like this forum. I am thoroughly enjoying learning about Ubuntu. Even when I get stuck, which is frustrating for us all, I learn how to become unstuck ( or have to reinstall...lol). But, even with a reinstall, it does not take that long to get back up to speed. In Windows XP, it took me 4 to 6 hours by the time I got all of my updates and files on there. In Ubuntu, I am up in about 1 to 2 hours with everything I use now.

Staying more on topic, I think this forum is very informative. Specifics are always key when explaining things to people. Especially people like me who have made the plunge 100% to not go back to Windows. I use Windows at work still since it is not my pc. So, I am not totally off Windows. And, I have nothing bad to say about Windows or Microsoft. I am not a hater of either. I enjoy many things with both of those.

But, I found that I can do everything I wanted ( except still have not found out how to create flash files in ubuntu yet ). I have found that I can do many things with audio just like FL Studio though and that impressed me a lot. I have to learn a few things about some of the packages like Audacity, Rosegarden, LMMS, etc.

The documentation is organized well in this site. Even if I ask something that has already been asked, I just get referred to that page. I do search myself, but we cannot find every page that mentions something.

People are nice on here to. I know that the forum has no control over that. But, it is nice to know.

Well done on this site!

Well done with Ubuntu. I am very happy and actually brag about using it now. I like to not get viruses and spyware...lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nice forum, nice documentation for Ubuntu, and easy transition from Windows

Welcome to Ubuntu.
    About creating Flash in Ubuntu. This is not so straightforward as in Windows (as you might have suspected).
    However I've done some Flash development using the Eclipse FDT plugin. The setup is described here

EDIT
    Flash isn't that popular amongst this crowd, see for example this post. And I'd agree it could be an idea to start picking up HTML5 & JavaScript instead.
    My tip is read about it, like this article, and make up your mind yourself.
    Last edited by lykeion; November 18th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Nice forum, nice documentation for Ubuntu, and easy transition from Windows

Thanks for the flash info. I will check it out later.

I like Bluefish as an alternative to Dreamweaver also. So, for me, Ubuntu has just about everything I need. If this works for flash, then my training is complete and I will be a jedi now... j/k