Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 desktop and multi-touch/multi-pointer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 10.10 desktop and multi-touch/multi-pointer?

What do I need to do to set up multi-pointer interaction? I'd like to set up a Wii remote whiteboard set-up thing, but I want to make Ubuntu recognize more than one pointer at a time (The wii remote can recognize 4 IR dots meaning I can have up to four pointers running, assuming Ubuntu will allow that). And if I can get that working, is anyone aware of any multi-touch applications or gestures or whatever that I could install or enable?

Thanks in advance!
    "Oh, man, I just shot Marvin in the face."

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 desktop and multi-touch/multi-pointer?

I guess something specific I had in mind would be drawing with two pointers at once in a drawing program or using two pointers to rotate windows and/or zoom and do other touch-screen-like gestures. More of the first one, though.

Here's a video of the Wii-remote white-board set-up that I'm trying to get, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ Pretty cool, eh?

Beans
    Distro

Home from school. Waiting for my bluetooth adapter to come in the mail, it should be here in a few days so I can test this out. If anybody can answer anything here before it comes, though... That'd be cool.

Beans
    Distro

Really? Nobody knows anything about this?

Beans
    Distro

Christ. I usually at least get a response. This is the first time Ubuntu forums have disappointed me.

Beans

im also worried about this subject...anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

no we dont know about this. happy now?

no seriously.. if there is no answers its because we dont know.. not because we are "ignoring you".

or would you prefer 100 people answering: "sorry i dont know"?

relax
    apart from that i also am interested in this subject so if you found a solution in the meanwhile please keep us updated.

Beans

Well?? Does this or doesn't this work? Can I set up a motion tracking system/ whiteboard on my Ubuntu 10.04? If so, how?
    Last edited by anirudh215; January 17th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i'm also shocked no1 has given this thread any love. and disapointed...

i guess we will hear more about this sorta thing wen 11.04 comes out. as it will hav the shinny utouch api with unity etc, so people will prob want to make lots of multi-touch applications, lets hope the wii remote gets included....

i'm setting up the wii remote thing soon, just need 2 IR pens!, and will run the latest alpha of 11.04 on a vm(does the aplha hav a working u touch api etc... how is all tht gna work? guess we shall have to experiment/read more...), see if it can pick up multi-touch gestures from the wii-remote. no doubt it wont... but hope is always better than despair...
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro

I didn't realize this thread would still have posts. Wow. For those that are wondering, I did in fact get a wii remote whiteboard set up using some clone of the original program written in Python. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it. After spending a zillion years gathering and installing all the dependencies, I got it working. I only had one pen, so I couldn't test any multi-touch gestures or anything, but I could use my one pen to draw and stuff in a program that I think is called Xournal. It was really fun. That computer experienced a hard drive failure, though, so I don't have the set-up anymore.

I actually found this topic again because I was googling around to try to find out how multi-touch in Linux has been progressing. I thought a multi-touch-aware whiteboard computer thing would be a pretty fun party thing so I started looking into this again before my birthday next month.

I'm thinking I'll shrink my 10.10 partition because, though I love Ubuntu so much, I've been using Windurrs 7 on my new laptop lately for some reason. Once that's done, I'll look into how Natty's doing with multitouch. Hopefully it's been implemented to some extent in the alphas. If I find anything noteworthy, I'll try to remember to post it here.