Thread: Can't open OpenVPN port 1194

Hybrid View

Beans

Can't open OpenVPN port 1194

Hi!

I was hoping that someone here could help me.
    So, I've installed and configured OpenVPN on Ubuntu server 10.04, but I can't connect to it. When i try connecting from another ubuntu machine it's "connection attempt timed out" and i can't seem to fix it. I think the problem is that port 1194 (which i've configured openvpn to use) isn't open. I've created iptables rules, but no luck.

Here are the rules:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L -nv
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 1033K packets, 58M bytes)
     pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
        9   384 fail2ban-postfix  tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           multiport dports 25,465 
       42  1708 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:1194 
        0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:1194
    When I run:
    Code:
    sudo nmap -sU -p 1194 localhost

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-11-17 17:31 EET
    Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
    PORT     STATE  SERVICE
    1194/udp closed unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.20 seconds
    I also tried to see using
    Code:
     sudo netstat -tulnp
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    udp        0      0 192.168.1.45:1194       0.0.0.0:*                           7837/openvpn    
    It should be running:
    Code:
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/openvpn start
     * Starting virtual private network daemon(s)...                                                                                                                         *   Autostarting VPN 'server'
    Can you please help me. I've tried searching everywhere for the answer but no luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't open OpenVPN port 1194

Have you enabled iptables and rebooted? also check ufw status

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uncaspi View Post
    Have you enabled iptables and rebooted? also check ufw status
    I don't know if ufw was enabled but it is now. I also rebooted but nothing seems to have changed. Port still seems to be closed. (How do I check if iptables is enabled, because there's no /etc/init.d/iptables)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by majjj; November 17th, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Actually I think iptables starts always at starup so it can't be the problem:

Beans

Try setting net.ipv4.ip_forward to 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf. You're probably being blocked because Ubuntu by default doesn't permit forwarding between interfaces.

You can do a quick test by running

Code:
    sudo echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    and see if that fixes the problem. To make the fix permanent, you need to change the entry in sysctl.conf and reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Code:
    sudo echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    Tried to do it, but it said "Permission denied"?! Then I changed it in the configuration file like you suggested, rebooted, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Syslog shows now though
    Code:
    Nov 17 20:00:00 ubuntuserver ovpn-server[4396]: TLS Error: cannot  locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET]192.168.1.37:54934
    But when I try to connect outside my lan (android) it doesn't show any logs. I have port forwarding and firewall on my router set up so that should be fine.

Beans

YEAH! It finally works. The problem was that for some reason port 1194 didn't work. I changed it to 1193.

And for the
    Nov 17 21:14:39 ubuntuserver ovpn-server[2655]: TLS Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from
    error i disabled
    Code:
    #tls-auth ta.key 0 # This file is secret
    which caused the error. I will probably will have to just configure it also for my client so that it will work. For now though it's fixed I got connection to VPN