Thread: How do I create a video DVD from Pitivi output?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do I create a video DVD from Pitivi output?

I want to burn a video DVD that will play on a standard DVD player. How do I convert the ogg theora (or other) output format obtained after rendering with Pitivi, to the two folders that need to be burned onto the DVD, i.e., VIDEO_TS AND AUDIO_TS?

Beans

Smile Re: How do I create a video DVD from Pitivi output?

You need a Video DVD Creator program.

Type in DVD in the search of the Ubuntu Software Center.

A couple are:
    Bombono
    ManDVD - Getdeb.net has 2ManDVD 1.4.4-1~getdeb1 the successor to ManDVD.

A couple of other usefull tools are
    Handbrake- encoder
    Devede- program to take a video file and create a simple dvd with a menu.

Openshot Video editor looks good too.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How do I create a video DVD from Pitivi output?

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Beans
    Distro

Is there no way that I can simply convert ogg theora to the correct format for a video DVD? I tried ManDVD, but it overflows the screen and I can't see the buttons at the bottom. I also tried Devede, but I get an error that says "... it seems to be a bug of Mencoder". Besides, both these programs, when I install them from the Ubuntu Software Center, require that I remove certain lib installations. Why?

Alternatively, is there a video editor for Linux that will do what Nero does on Windows? I used Nero some years ago and I was able to burn a video DVD directly from the program.

Pitivi seems great - I got the hang of it in half an hour. But it is of no use at all if I can't copy my video creation onto DVD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi skywatcher

I previously used tovid to make a DVD from a file.

But now I use this method instead, just 3 steps.

#1 Convert the file to mpeg2.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i < filename > -target pal-dvd foo.mpg
    or
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i < filename > -target ntsc-dvd foo.mpg
    #2 Create a title.
    (Folder named DVD containing VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.BUP etc. files)

Code:
    dvdauthor -o DVD/ -t foo.mpg
    #3 Create a table of contents. (VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP files)
    Code:
    dvdauthor -o DVD/ -T
    Last edited by ron999; November 17th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Put skywalker instead of skywatcher.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ron999

Thanks for the help - it works like a dream!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    I want to burn a video DVD that will play on a standard DVD player. How do I convert the ogg theora (or other) output format obtained after rendering with Pitivi, to the two folders that need to be burned onto the DVD, i.e., VIDEO_TS AND AUDIO_TS?
    Watch out! You do not want Ogg Theora. You want FFmpeg MPEG-2 PS format (DVD VOB) muxer [ffmux_dvd]. For sound use FFmpeg ATSC A/52A (AC-3) encoder [ffenc_ac3]. Video is FFmpeg MPEG-2 video encoder [ffenc_mpeg2video] but you will definitely want to reset the bitrate from 300000 to something much larger. I found 6548000 on the Interwebs, and that seems about right.

If you do that, I think DeVeDe will work, more or less, although I found that fast forward did not work on the DVDs (double and triple fast work all right).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank you, ron999!

I had a series of mp4 files that I wanted to copy to a DVD for offline watching. I tried using Pitivi to string them together, but the rendering was going to take more than 24 hours, so I gave up on that method.

For each of the mp4 files, I repeated steps 1 and 2, and did step 3 only once. Total rendering/conversion time for about an hour's worth of video was about 30 minutes.

Step 4 was to fire up CD/DVD creator, copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories, and burn. But that step's a given.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Forgot a small detail with dvdauthor. If you want a title with multiple chapters, you need to specify the chapters of a title on the same command line. Example:

dvdauthor -o DVD/ -t foo.mpg bar.mpg xyzzy.mpg plugh.mpg
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    Is there no way that I can simply convert ogg theora to the correct format for a video DVD? I tried ManDVD, but it overflows the screen and I can't see the buttons at the bottom. I also tried Devede, but I get an error that says "... it seems to be a bug of Mencoder". Besides, both these programs, when I install them from the Ubuntu Software Center, require that I remove certain lib installations. Why?
    Pitivi isn't for making DVD's but video files. Devede can take any video file and create a DVD iso which you can in turn burn to a DVD. Not sure but devede might be able to actually burn the disk as well.