Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to network share on Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
    I have followed the directions here ....
    I have a simple home peer-to-peer network with (currently) around 6 Lubuntu based computers connected (the number varies from week to week).

I just did a test where I accessed an MP4 video located on a Lubuntu 11.04 laptop from a Lubuntu 12.04 laptop, and it plays OK.

All of my Lubuntu computers (except the one running 12.10 that I'm just setting up at the moment) have been configured using the method used in Post#1 of this thread. So I would probably urge you to repeat the process on your Lubuntu 12.04 laptop.

As for fault finding, I suggest that you check you have the permissions you think you have by trying to access and open a range of files. Also check that the media files will play locally on your laptop (i.e. when transferred across to a directory on your laptop).

One other general point I'd like to make (not specifically to you Wolfpup) concerns the term "server". On a peer-to-peer network, where all networked computers have a few shared directories with read access, all computers are both clients & servers. In other words, any computer can access some files from any other computer.

You may chose to install the server version of 'buntu on a specific machine, and load it up with music and videos. But if the network is peer-to-peer, your server probably does not have any other unique duties. Its just a big computer that you leave on all the time. It does not validate users on the "network", it is not a Domain Controller.

So make sure you follow the full procedure in Post#1 because I don't know what problems you may encounter if you don't follow all steps on all your machines.

The process in Post#1 is also covered here: http://captainbodgit.blogspot.co.uk/...-win7-and.html which also includes some notes for Windows 7 and the Raspberry Pi.

Good luck. What you are trying to do will work, there's just the small detail of finding out why its not!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Red face Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

I hope this does not cloud the issue, but I'm going to share this with you anyway.

I have not yet run the Post#1 procedure on my new 12.10 install, but I can "see" the network from this new machine.

When I try to run an MP4 video file which is located on another machine, the default media player (GNOME MPlayer) cannot play it, although it can play it locally (when the file is copied to the 12.10 machine).

However, when I install VLC media player on 12.10, it CAN play this video when located on a remote machine!

Beans

Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

Thank you so much sharing this, it works great with me

Beans

I have a problem viewing files from a Win7 machine (i can see the lubuntu machine and drives, but cant view contents), and printing from Win7 machine isnt working either (the printer is connected to Lubuntu 12.10 machine and visible on Win7, but it looks like no printing jobs are sent to the printer over network)

I followed the steps in post #1, but wasnt able to:
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDee View Post
    Set the Linux permissions:-
    * locate the folder to share in file manager
    * right click on the folder and select Properties > Permissions
    * set the required permissions, e.g. Other: Read & Write (to allow anyone full access)
    In PCManFM I go to Go > My Computer, right-click the drive, choose Properties > Permissions and change "View content", "Change content" and "Execute" to Anyone, but I get ": Operation not supported by backend" error message.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I get access to files on lubuntu from my Win7 machine?

Thanx

EDIT:
    Made it work by adding a user in samba - for some reason it didnt work when Anyone was allowed read/write. Found the tip here http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/10/...antal-quetzal/
    Last edited by salem132; March 20th, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Found my answer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by giantslor View Post
    ...I had one problem that you didn't address: my hostname was too long, which prevented me from accessing my Windows shares through WORKGROUP or my Lubuntu shares through my Windows machines....
    You sir, are amazing. I've spent 5-6 hours trying to troubleshoot this problem and this fixed me right up! Thanks!

Beans

when i want to open any folder , i can't there is an error message "The specified location is not mounted"
    any idea ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Unhappy Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by raedmohammadi View Post
    when i want to open any folder , i can't there is an error message "The specified location is not mounted...

If you are running 13.04, its a bug in PCManFM: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2139901&page=2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123