Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HHD Failing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HHD Failing?

Hi.
    The HHD tool on Ubuntu tells me that my HHD ATA ST3500630AS is failing because of too many bad sectors. Gonna attach screen dump of the error message. (File-system is in Norwegian)

My questions is as follows:
    Is this HHD soon dead?
    Is it any way to save it?

It's fully possible to read/write to this disk, i successfully manage to back up the drive, so if i have to buy myself a new one, it wont be a problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: HHD Failing?

Hi.

There have been some false positive reports reported earlier on the fourms so if you don't see any problem with accessing/writing data, the first thing I would suggest is to download the diagnostic tools from manufacturer's website and scan your HDD by using them.

If they also report that you've got some (or more ) bad sectors, you definitely need to backup your data as soon as possible.

But first make sure if the bad sectors really do exist.

Beans

False positives have been a bug with Palimpset since it was introduced in, I believe, 9.04. I generally use gsmartcontrol and get rid of Palimpset.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro

the diagnostic tools from manufacturer's website is only for Mac and Windows. Can i run it in Ubuntu using wine? http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

But when i boot the computer a autodetectprogram (American megatrends) runs, and checks all the drives. Master 4 -ATA ST3500630AS Status: BAD, but all the other disk is OK.
    I got backup of all the data, but is it possible to save the drive? 500 GB is alot of space i would like to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Go terminal and see the man page for badblocks and then use it to check your disks for bad sectors.

Code:
    man badblocks
    However if the Bios Utility is also telling that the hard disk has got bad sectors, you really need to worry. It might not just be a false positive report by palimpset.

And the bad sectors are something related to Hardware and not the software so that is not curable at all. The only way around is to mark them bad in an OS so that OS doesn't try to write to them. But you'll need to mark them again if you reinstall the OS.

And you need to keep an eye on them as they might keep on growing.

This web is also worth reading.

http://www.fix-hdd-bad-sectors.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joibjorn View Post
    the diagnostic tools from manufacturer's website is only for Mac and Windows. Can i run it in Ubuntu using wine? http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

But when i boot the computer a autodetectprogram (American megatrends) runs, and checks all the drives. Master 4 -ATA ST3500630AS Status: BAD, but all the other disk is OK.
    I got backup of all the data, but is it possible to save the drive? 500 GB is alot of space i would like to use.
    Possibly could work with wine but I doubt it would work very well.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys. The seagate software doenst work with wine, but i am gonna go with the easy solution. Just ordered a new HHD Thank you again for the responses

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys. The seagate software doenst work with wine, but i am gonna go with the easy solution. Just ordered a new HHD Thank you again for the responses

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast