Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best web-based file manager?

Beans

Re: Best web-based file manager?

If you're the only person who needs to do this, then I think i.r.id10t's suggestion above is the best one. I've done this from time to time as well. I've also run Firefox on clients' servers to see the Web the same way they do in case there are differences in DNS, filtering, etc.

Just a bit of caution about Webmin: I only use it in situations where I have very stringent control over access to port 10000 or whichever port it's assigned to because the server runs with root privileges. I'll use it over an OpenVPN tunnel or with iptables rules that block anyone but me from the webmin port. Opening the port to the world is asking for ownage.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 17th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It seems all options have a trade off on security vs. being able to accomplish what you want to do.

I am not a security expert so I don't know which is the worst of all evils.

Although I don't recommend allowing root logins to a server, if you already have this allowed you can connect via sftp from your Ubuntu desktop by going to <Places><Connect to Server> choose ssh as the protocol and use root as the user. This will give you a gui window for manipulating the file system... WARNING this is not recommended by is is used by some.

Let the flaming begin... LOL
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by i.r.id10t View Post
    Get an X server for your local machine (I think Mac still comes with one, cygwin-x on windows), ssh in and export your display back to your local machine, and then run nautilus.
    Any tutorial on how to do this? you mean SSH tunneling with X11 port forwarding right?

EDIT= Webmin its cool and all, but I figured that it would pose a security risk, also it has A LOT of things that probably I would NEVER use.

So, I install nautilus on the server and connect via SSH to it and then export the display to my local machine right?

I read somewhere that you can do this by typing:

ssh -X user@serverIP

then everything regarding to x applications will display on my comp?

is that correct?
    Last edited by X1R1; November 20th, 2010 at 01:48 AM.
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by X1R1 View Post
    Any tutorial on how to do this? you mean SSH tunneling with X11 port forwarding right?

EDIT= Webmin its cool and all, but I figured that it would pose a security risk, also it has A LOT of things that probably I would NEVER use.

So, I install nautilus on the server and connect via SSH to it and then export the display to my local machine right?

I read somewhere that you can do this by typing:

ssh -X user@serverIP

then everything regarding to x applications will display on my comp?

is that correct?
    Yes. Read man ssh if you're confused. -X forwards any X applications to your local X server. So if you're not on a Linux box you'll need cygwin or xmming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Running ArchLinux here so no problem, worked like a charm. I was a bit confused, I tought you need to have the app installed on the client and tell the server to use that, but its the other way around, you just forward the output to the client.

All clear now Im fact I want to test all possible file managers now that you explained that to me, trying thunar with the X11 forwarding at the moment, no lag at all, gonna try also PCman and nautilus and make a choice, maybe I will write a nice blog post about this

That was exactly what I was looking for! a file manager without bloating the server with applications and security risks

File managers with dependencies and all take about 100mb total space, not big of a deal, and very low memory since its been forwarded. It really shines!

EDIT= quick question, apache is still installed on my system, I THINK that the only app using it was webmin, how can I check if an application still depends on it?
    Last edited by X1R1; November 20th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Beans

EDIT= quick question, apache is still installed on my system, I THINK that the only app using it was webmin, how can I check if an application still depends on it?
    AFAIK, Webmin runs its own HTTP server; it doesn't use Apache at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    AFAIK, Webmin runs its own HTTP server; it doesn't use Apache at all.
    Wow, I learned something new today, thanks

From the Webmin and Apache doc:
    Webmin comes with a very simple webserver called miniserv.pl that is capable of doing all that is necessary for Webmin to run. However, it is not as fast or memory efficient as a well-developed server such as Apache

Beans

Webmin is only a risk if you allow outside access to port 10000 through your firewall.

Also webmin doesn't need all of the "other features" installed to run. Your thinking of Virtualmin. While webmin can do all the other stuff your talking about, it doesn't need those dependencies to be installed or run, at least not on a debian/ubuntu based system.

The only thing missing for me that eXtplorer can do that webmin file manager can't, is other site to my site transfer. For instance if I want to install drupal on my site I never have to leave the browser or download anything to my Downloads folder, I simply copy the url, stick it in eXtplorer and it transfers directly to my server.
    Last edited by nymusicman; June 3rd, 2012 at 02:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12