Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steps to migrate from Ubuntu-Mozilla-Team PPA to Ubuntuzilla PPA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Steps to migrate from Ubuntu-Mozilla-Team PPA to Ubuntuzilla PPA

I am on 32 bit Lucid Lynx (10.04.1).

I have been using the default Ubuntu-Mozilla-Team PPA (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/) on Lucid Lynx that provides only 3.0 series of TB (TB 3.0.10 is what I currently have). I want to now upgrade to TB 3.1. Since the above PPA only supports, 3.0 series of thunderbird on Lucid, I want to change the PPA to Ubuntuzilla (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page) to upgrade to TB 3.1.

I would like to know the best practices and steps for migrating from "Ubuntu_Mozilla-Team PPA" (with TB 3.0.10 currently installed) to "Ubuntuzilla PPA" to get TB 3.1.

I want to know what to uninstall, install, backup (and the order) etc to have a smooth change over to Ubuntuzilla PPA to get latest TB.

Thanks,
    Sreevathsa

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Steps to migrate from Ubuntu-Mozilla-Team PPA to Ubuntuzilla PPA

I have more or less the same question for Thunderbird. I'm running the 64-bit from the Ubuntu PPA, but it doesn't always play well with Lightning. Can I back up my profile, uninstall the 64-bit Thunderbird, and install the 32-bit Thunderbird from Ubuntuzilla?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

sreevathsa:
    1. back up your data profile directory, 'just in case'.
    2. uninstall whatever packages you installed from the mozilla-team ppa
    3. remove the mozilla-team ppa from your list of sources.
    4. follow ubuntuzilla instructions for adding the repository and installing the mozilla build packages.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by winecurmudgeon View Post
    I have more or less the same question for Thunderbird. I'm running the 64-bit from the Ubuntu PPA, but it doesn't always play well with Lightning. Can I back up my profile, uninstall the 64-bit Thunderbird, and install the 32-bit Thunderbird from Ubuntuzilla?
    ubuntuzilla repository only contains 32bit packages, so won't want to install on your 64bit machine. there's the old ubuntuzilla.py install script, but that's no longer maintained, so no guarantees.

Your best bet on trying the 32bit thunderbird right now is, i think, to just grab the .tar.gz from mozilla, manually extract it and run the binary, and see how it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    sreevathsa:
    1. back up your data profile directory, 'just in case'.
    2. uninstall whatever packages you installed from the mozilla-team ppa
    3. remove the mozilla-team ppa from your list of sources.
    4. follow ubuntuzilla instructions for adding the repository and installing the mozilla build packages.
    nanotube,

Thanks much for your detailed steps. I am a newbie w.r.t Ubuntu package management and hence a question about step #2 in your reply:

To get a list of packages I installed from Ubuntu-mozilla team PPA, I opened the Synaptic Manager, searched for "Maintainer = Ubuntu Mozilla Team". I got the following packages as "installed" from this PPA:

firefox
    firefox-branding
    firefox-gnome-support
    libnspr4-0d
    libnss3-1d
    thunderbird
    xulrunner-1.9.2

When I marked firefox for 'Removal', it automatically marked firefox-branding, firefox-gnome-support and sun-java6-plugin also for removal. And when I marked thunderbird for removal, it just marked that package alone.

Now the other installed packages from this PPA listed above - libnspr4-0d, libnss3-1d and xulrunner-1.9.2 are not marked for removal. Should I also include these 3 packages for removal? I am not sure if they are being used by any other programs on my system! Also, why is the sun-java6-plugin being removed? I am assuming that other programs could be using it on my system.

Sorry to bug you with this newbie question. Please advice.

TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

>
    > Sorry to bug you with this newbie question. Please advice.
    >

This is my office desktop. So I am a little sceptical about daring to try out some possibilities myself. Don't want to get the system into an inconsistent state by hurrying up.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sreevathsa View Post
    >
    > Sorry to bug you with this newbie question. Please advice.
    >

This is my office desktop. So I am a little sceptical about daring to try out some possibilities myself. Don't want to get the system into an inconsistent state by hurrying up.

Thanks.
    Hi
    I thought you were only talking about thunderbird... I'd recommend to leave all firefox-related stuff alone. Just uninstall thunderbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi
    I thought you were only talking about thunderbird... I'd recommend to leave all firefox-related stuff alone. Just uninstall thunderbird.
    OK. What if I want to get both latest FF and latest TB from Ubuntuzilla? How do I go about the package removal? The same question that I had in comment #5.

The 4 steps that you mentioned in comment #3 seems generic enough and a pretty good way to go about it (without introducing any inconsistency from multiple maintainers providing different versions of the same program). Its just that I am unsure about the situation explained in comment #5.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sreevathsa View Post
    OK. What if I want to get both latest FF and latest TB from Ubuntuzilla? How do I go about the package removal? The same question that I had in comment #5.

The 4 steps that you mentioned in comment #3 seems generic enough and a pretty good way to go about it (without introducing any inconsistency from multiple maintainers providing different versions of the same program). Its just that I am unsure about the situation explained in comment #5.
    ubuntuzilla packages divert the /usr/bin links to point to the mozilla build versions. so uninstalling previous packages is really optional.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ubuntuzilla packages divert the /usr/bin links to point to the mozilla build versions. so uninstalling previous packages is really optional.
    OK, that sounds harmless then. I tried to install the repo following instructions on the wiki. While adding the repo itself succeeded and lists the tb-mozilla-build package as available in the repo, I am having problems with installing the key. Here is what I get:

$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
    gpg: requesting key C1289A29 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect to host
    gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
    gpg: Total number processed: 0

Ignored this and went ahead with installing thunderbird-mozilla-build package through 'Ubuntu Software Center', and I get this error message in a pop up:

"Requires installation of untrusted packages - The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources. Details: thunderbitd-mozilla-build"

Appreciate any trouble shooting tips to get through this.

TIA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast