Thread: reinstall network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

reinstall network

How can I reinstall network. I remove dhclient3 because chkrootkit identified it as a possible issue. Well, now I have no internet. I am running from the live cd for ubuntu right now.

I also posted in another part on this forum earlier. I was told to copy files. I tried to copy files but was unsuccessful. I did not see 'dhclient3'.

Is there a way I can reinstall the all of the network part for ubuntu?

I can just reinstall all of ubuntu, but I have some pictures on the drive now that I do not want to lose. Also, unfortunately, I do not have enough storage as I am out of dvds and the usb drive I have is too small to hold all the movies that we recorded with the digitial camera.

I am new to Ubuntu within the last 2 weeks. I have learned a lot. I installed SELinux, Chkrootkit, ClamAV, AIDE, and set up UFW firewall. I wrote it all down, so I can do all of that again if needed. I just don't want to lost my videos / pics.

Re: reinstall network

Hello,

when booted from the LiveCD, try to mount the root directory of the installed ubuntu, if it wasn't already done by ubuntu automatically.

Then, as a root in the LiveCD, run
    Code:
    chroot /media/[mountpointofubuntupartition]
    after that,

run:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install dhcp3-client.
    Not tested, but should work.
    Last edited by NIN101; November 14th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: reinstall network

I had tried something else, but it did not work. I got the data off the pc, then just reinstalled ubuntu from scratch.