Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi on Dell Latitude D600 using Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Smile Wifi on Dell Latitude D600 using Ubuntu 10.10

Okay, this is a tutorial for something I have had a hard time with, solved, and want to share the solution for everyone; how to install wifi firmware(drivers) on a Dell Latitude D600 (that has no internet connection otherwise) for use with Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition.

What you will need:
    • Another Internet Capable Computer (For downloading Drivers)
    • A USB Flash Drive with at least 2MB free space
    • A Dell D600 Laptop (Normally has broadcom wifi, for other wifi cards this will not work)

Lets get started:
    1. Using your internet capable computer Download these packages to your flash drive:
    2. Plug your flash drive into the D600 and copy the above files into your home folder.
    3. Open b43-fwcutter_011-1_i386.deb By right clicking and selecting 'Open with Archive Manager'
    4. Extract b43-fwcutter from the /usr/bin folder of the b43-fwcutter_011-1_i386.deb archive into your home folder.
    5. Now open a terminal and type these commands one by one:
      Code:
      sudo ~/b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
      Code:
      tar xfvj ~/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
      Code:
      sudo ~/b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod/wl_apsta_mimo.o
      Code:
      sudo chmod o+rx /lib/firmware/b43 /lib/firmware/b43legacy
    6. That's It!!! Check your networks, your wifi card is already running, you may now delete the files from your home folder!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wifi on Dell Latitude D600 using Ubuntu 10.10

I have a D600 also,but I couldn't make the wifi to work even when following this exactly

When activating the driver from System> Administration>Additional drivers I get error "SystemError:InstallArchives() failed"
    - Jaxilian -

||embrace the inevitable||

Beans

This guide only applies to people who use the same broadcomm wifi card I use, (I will post exact model numbers shortly) If you do have the same card, then you do not have to do anything but follow the guide above... Doing it through the additional drivers application will fail, because it downloads driver dependencies from the internet, and since your wifi is your access to the internet, well you can see the issue.

Try the above guide, and if it does not work, then you will need to check what exactly the additional drivers required are, then similar to what I did above, install the driver manually. If you can figure out the driver you are missing, post it here and I will attempt to help you

Beans

This works on my Dell Latitude with a BCM4306 rev 02....until I reboot.
    For some reason when I reboot the /lib/firmware/b43legacy directory disappears and I can no longer connect via wireless.

What causes this?
    :
    Wait a minute...I repeated the above steps again...and now it didn't disappear.

Seems to work.

Thanks JBUD "Where ever you are".

-m
    Last edited by marzshadow; December 16th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

No problem marzshadow, glad I could help!

Beans

Just wanted to thank you for this. Worked perfectly for me. I had an old D600 from work that I just loaded up 10.10 onto.

Beans

No problem! I am glad to help. I looked for a forum post like this when I had the issue, and couldn't find one, so when I solved it, I thought I should post the solution. After all, The D600 is a fairly common model.

Beans

Thank you so much!! Just spent the past four hours getting 10.10 up and running only to realize that wireless wasn't working. Your tip did the trick. For the record, I have a latitude D600 with a Broadcom BCM4306 rev2 card (Dell TrueMobile 1300) My connection speed is limited, but I can connect to WPA2 networks.

I thought I was going to have to go back to 10.04.

Beans

Thaks, just followed the steps and worked perfectly!!! (tried with Xubuntu 10. 10 distribution)

Beans

Smile Re: Wifi on Dell Latitude D600 using Ubuntu 10.10

Absolutely brilliant page and solution. Worked a treat first time after a few years of me wishing linux would work on this stable solid older hardware. Keep up the good work and Thank you once again for your excellent knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast