Thread: MagicJack - Not on Linux. NetTalk - no computer required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MagicJack - Not on Linux. NetTalk - no computer required.

http://www.nettalk.com/

I am a MagicJack user who has been searching for a practical way to use my MagicJack on a Ubuntu machine. My old PC with Vista is horribly slow but I keep Vista on it just to enable the MagicJack device. Otherwise it would be on Ubuntu already.

Anyway, some have gotten MagicJack to work but always in a way that does not allow use of all features, phones, etc. So I did some searching and I think I found the answer for all Linux users!!

The link above is to NetTalk and it does not even need a computer. It can plug in directly to the router itself. I was amazed after reading about how it can work from the router via ethernet instead of relying on a computer to host software for it. It's $69.95 to buy it and includes the first year, which is more expensive than the $39.95 for MagicJack. Plus its annual cost is $29.95 versus $19.95 for MagicJack. But other than that I can't see much difference, plus it would free up my PC to install Linux and be functional again.

Anyone using NetTalk and not relying on a Windows OS to do so? How is your experience? I want Ubuntu on that machine, but only if I can confirm the system works as well or better than my MagicJack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: MagicJack - Not on Linux. NetTalk - no computer required.

Why not just get a real Voip service and call it a day. You can use it on a PC or on a voip device like the linksys PAP2 which lets you use a real phone or wire your home. Best of all there is nothing to buy unless you go the phone/PAP2 route.

I personally like localphone, it gives you unlimited incoming calls and outgoing to USA is 0.009/min. Instead of paying the 0.009/min, I just use google voice's call back feature to call me and connect me to who I wanna talk to so all I pay is $1/month for my own number.
    MyBlog
    Sledgehammer engineering, if it doesn't work, hit it damn hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This just looks like a very simple solution to home telephone without monthly costs and fully compatible with Linux. Rather than a software package and a separate VOIP device, this is all inclusive like Magic Jack, but without a reliance upon Windows OS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    This just looks like a very simple solution to home telephone without monthly costs and fully compatible with Linux. Rather than a software package and a separate VOIP device, this is all inclusive like Magic Jack, but without a reliance upon Windows OS.
    The service that I recommended does not have any more of a software reliance than your solution and will work on any OS that has a voip client.

I personally have it working on two linux laptops, one Windows mobile device, and a Linksys PAP2. It works with the empathy client (which is part of the default ubuntu installation), not sure how much easier it can get.

Your solution REQUIRES you to purchase hardware, this is hardly a good solution. It reminds me of ATT trying to sell me DSL and mentioning at the end that you must purchase a modem. Now why in the world would I by a piece of hardware that will only work with one provider. Seems like a waste of money but to each their own.

As far as a monthly cost, you can pre pay your 12 bucks to localphone and it will chip away on its own each month. So really it could be a monthly, yearly, centennially, etc. billing schema it is up to you what you wanna fork out up front.
    Last edited by Boondoklife; November 14th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    MyBlog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How would I use a regular telephone (cordless base unit) with your solution without purchasing additional hardware? My router does not have a VOIP capability so wouldn't I have to purchase something to get it to interface with the router, a computer or other device?

Beans
    Distro

To use a phone you have a couple of options:
    1) get a smart phone (no need for the cell service) and use a voip client (or one that has one built in like windows mobile) to make calls via wifi.
    2) get a PAP2 type device and plug it into your router and plug the phone into it and off you go

To use a computer that is running ubuntu, just put your settings into empathy (the chat client) and off you go.

In short the only time you HAVE to purchase something is if you want to use a phone and dont have a smartphone or if you want to use a normal house phone. With your option you DO NOT have a choice but to purchase hardware. To top it off, that hardware/jack your nettalk gives is locked to them. If you decide to go with another voip provider you are left with an ugly paper weight.
    Last edited by Boondoklife; November 14th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added a final thought
    MyBlog