Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP deskjet 1050 j410

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HP deskjet 1050 j410

Quote Originally Posted by Pirschjaeger View Post
    Hi Dred,

I've already downloaded and installed the file and while I have 'scan' in the HP options, it still fails. I've tried in vain both Simple Scan and Xsane.

The easiest thing to do would be to order a scanner online but there are a few obstacles:

1) I live in China but don't speak Chinese.

2) There are issues with trust when it comes to ordering anything here.

3) The Sane list of in/compatibility is just too long and complex to print out and carry.

4) It's too far and too complicated to run back and forth to a store. I did try checking the net at the shops but everyone uses Windows on dinosaur systems and inadequate net connections. In short, I was unable to access the sites I needed.

I have the worse luck for choosing hardware. I always seem to chose something incompatible with Linux or discontinued. If anyone is worried about making the same mistakes they should first ask what I would by and then stay far away from my recommendations.

I've needed to build a new rig for sometime now but have been putting it off for the reasons mentioned above. It would be a great service for people if there were a site when you could pick and choose hardware and get instant feedback on compatibility. Alas we live not in a perfect world.

I've infected/installed one of my rigs with Windows/Linux dual-boot so I can at least use the scanner on that.

Thanks for the help.
    For a new rig try Newegg.com and get a combo package. My 3.1 GB PC cost me all of 253 dollars (of course I had to put it together myself) and I used the HDD from my old PC instead of buying a new one and thus saved myself the cost of that.
    Just a suggestion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Okay...this is from memory.

1. Download the hplip-3.10.9.tar.gz from SourceForge to your desktop.
    2. Extract Here, Open the untarred folder and find the models.dat.
    3. Go to section [deskjet_1050_j410_series] and set "io-mfp-mode=1" and "scan-type=7" (don't forget to remove the DASH from the -1 on scan-type=-1 default also, it happened to me...lol) and save the file.
    4. Open a terminal
    5. (if you're not already root) enter
    Code:
    sudo -i
    6. enter root user password (if requested)
    7. enter
    Code:
    cd hplip-3.10.9/
    (not sure about the backslash)
    8. enter
    Code:
    ./configure
    (let it finish)
    9. enter
    Code:
    make
    (let it finish)
    10. enter
    Code:
    make install
    (let it finish)
    11. close terminal and restart Ubuntu (you may not need to but I do it anyway)
    12. After reboot, turn on the printer, go to Accessories and click on the HP icon to open the HP Device Manager...you should see Scan under the Actions tab.
    Following this guide, I have come upon an error, here is the output: http://pastebin.com/3rWWUiag

configure: error: cannot find net-snmp support (or --disable-network-build)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Biosd View Post
    Following this guide, I have come upon an error, here is the output: http://pastebin.com/3rWWUiag

configure: error: cannot find net-snmp support (or --disable-network-build)
    Then for step 8 use
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-network-build

Beans

Then for step 8 use
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-network-build
    ...And that gives me a new problem "configure: error: cannot find libcups support"

Libcups2 is already installed. So... I'm guessing its not looking in the right place? I'm building it from the desktop if thats a problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

...And that gives me a new problem "configure: error: cannot find libcups support"

Libcups2 is already installed. So... I'm guessing its not looking in the right place? I'm building it from the desktop if thats a problem.
    Maybe try a re-install of libcups? I don't know because I didn't get any install errors during my install.

Beans

Maybe try a re-install of libcups? I don't know because I didn't get any install errors during my install.
    Nopes. I tried reinstalling all the libcups2 stuff, I even rebooted. Still same error. One other theory is that its looking for libcups 1. But thats a stretch.

I'm going to have to probably return the printer for another... unless someone else can find a solution.

Beans

Nopes. I tried reinstalling all the libcups2 stuff, I even rebooted. Still same error. One other theory is that its looking for libcups 1. But thats a stretch.

I'm going to have to probably return the printer for another... unless someone else can find a solution.
    I guess it is the dev-package (libcups2-dev) that is needed at configure time.

Beans

Having bought this same printer last week (I thought HP was supposed to be Linux friendly!) I have exactly the same problem as Biosd, so have been following this closely. Thanks for this latest advice du@dde - it does move things forward, but doesn't quite get there. The new error is "error: cannot find libusb support".

Any idea how to get this?

Beans

@chrisbailey: Pretty much the same issue. When you're building code that uses libusb you need the libusb-dev package which contains headers and some other stuff. If you normally don't build a lot of code on your machine you will need to install several dev-packages to get through the configuration of this driver.

Even when the configuration was done some headers were missing and I got compilation errors. I installed the remaining libcups-dev packages and it resolved the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbailey View Post
    Having bought this same printer last week (I thought HP was supposed to be Linux friendly!) I have exactly the same problem as Biosd, so have been following this closely. Thanks for this latest advice du@dde - it does move things forward, but doesn't quite get there. The new error is "error: cannot find libusb support".

Any idea how to get this?
    I just bought this printer too; apparently the HPLIP package available with Ubuntu 10.04 is not up to date.

But you can follow these instructions to get a later version; just skip to step 2.

Anyhow, I setup my printer using the USB cable, and it works. Then I proceeded to connect my USB cable to my iogear networked device. When I went through CUPS (localhost:631), to my surprise the appropriate PPD driver was now listed.

In summary, for $40, I'm happy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast