Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect HTC Android phone via Internet Pass through

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Cannot connect HTC Android phone via Internet Pass through

I have just bought a HTC Desire Z mobile phone, running Android 2.2.

It has a feature to allow, via the USB cable, use of the Internet connection on a PC so that the phone can connect via that, rather than use the 3G or wi fi when those are not available or not wanting to use them. I want to download lots of applications without draining my 3G data allowance.

I have searched via Google, and some people have said that it just worked for them. They plugged in the phone to their Ubuntu PC and they could use the Internet on the phone.

But I cannot get it to work. I am new to Android, and still figuring out the phone. In the Settings/Wireless & Networks, there is an option for Internet Pass-through, which is trying to connect but never does. Then it comes up with a message saying:
    "Unable to connect to PC" and asks me to install HTC Sync software (which is Windows only).

Is there something I need to install in Ubuntu to get it to work?
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity

Beans

Re: Cannot connect HTC Android phone via Internet Pass through

Same problem here. Interestingly it doesnt work. Many people do it automatically... :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Cannot connect HTC Android phone via Internet Pass through

Same here. I use Ubuntu Karmic on my laptop and Android Froyo on my HTC Desire Z, but I can't use Pass-throgh feature to connect my HTC on the Internet by using a wired ADSL connection from my Ubuntu. It warns me that my firewall could cause the issue, but it's the same even if I disable the firewall (sudo ufw disable) on my Ubuntu Karmic. Is there any solution for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cool Re: Cannot connect HTC Android phone via Internet Pass through

I ended up buying a Wireless Access Point to connect to my router and use the wi-fi on the mobile phone. It works, and is easier than setting up the Internet pass through, although I am not a big fan of using too much wireless technology.
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity

Beans

BUUUUUMP! Any new info anyone?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kavoura View Post
    I ended up buying a Wireless Access Point to connect to my router and use the wi-fi on the mobile phone. It works, and is easier than setting up the Internet pass through, although I am not a big fan of using too much wireless technology.
    Same for me too - the cable is the best choice for using at home and after I installed dd-wrt on my router to use the WPS button for radio on/off this is the second thing I will have to figure out - the usb internet pass trough.
    When I try to connect it with this option enabled an Auto USB Connection appears in Network Manager Applet and I guess that is the same in all your cases. Well the thing that caught my attention was that the IP that was in use was with different third component xxx.xxx.YYY.xxx and there was no gateway.

My network is with 192.168.1.xxx

After about minute the connection goes down and the phone tells that it was unable to connect to the PC.

Have to dig a little more about that rndis_host driver.

Edit: Found something, but I'm not quite sure that it will be a success
    http://blog.mycila.com/2010/06/rever...ndroid-22.html

I tried to bridge the interfaces of eth0 and usb0 and to set the default address of my dd-wrt to be in the same x.x.99.x segment of the network, but still no go. I think that it's the HTC Sync it depends on and tried it too but within a virtual machine with no success too. I'll try with windows later, maybe I'm missing something.
    Last edited by ttanev; January 24th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

Wrote to HTC support, but their only directions were to try to search for an app in the store and if there is nothing useful to try google Maybe they have no plans for HTC Sync for Linux.

Beans

hello,

i had the same problem mentioned above.
    in the htc internet was working, when connecting it to my ubuntu 10.10 via usb ubuntu could not connect to the internet via the htc. i had a look into the network configuration in the htc and i found that there was set as the apn "wap.eplus.de". i changed it to "internet.eplus.de" and also set the user name ("eplus") and password ("gprs"). i replugged the usb cable and afterwards ubuntu could connect to the internet via the htc.

so my suggestion: check the network connection in the htc. i hope that information will help you.

Beans

Hi, Im a newbie to the forum.
    I have a new HTC Desire Z - and I cant connect to internet through laptop either - not even first time.
    What should my new APN settings be? Ive tried to find them online, but all I can find is APN settings for mobile service providers - http://hdmp4.com/APN
    Where do I find the APN settings for my laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by lars-i View Post
    hello,

i had the same problem mentioned above.
    in the htc internet was working, when connecting it to my ubuntu 10.10 via usb ubuntu could not connect to the internet via the htc. i had a look into the network configuration in the htc and i found that there was set as the apn "wap.eplus.de". i changed it to "internet.eplus.de" and also set the user name ("eplus") and password ("gprs"). i replugged the usb cable and afterwards ubuntu could connect to the internet via the htc.

so my suggestion: check the network connection in the htc. i hope that information will help you.

Beans

I think we are talking about different things here.
    My device is DesireHD and have installed the native Android 2.3 via OTA update from the last month. When connected with USB there's some options like "Charge only", "HTC Sync", "Disk Drive", "USB tethering" and "Internet Pass-through". "Disk drive" and "USB Tethering" are working flawlessly in any distro /with network-manager installed/. This thread is about "Internet pass-through" which is to use the PC's internet connection in the phone. As I understood the only way to use it is to install the non-existing HTC sync application in Linux.
    To lars-i: If you want to use the 3G/HSDPA or Wi-Fi internet of your HTC in your Ubuntu, just set the USB connection type to "USB Tethering" mode and everything should be fine in Ubuntu 9.10-11.04 /checked/.
    To ngh007: If you have internet on your phone when disconnected from your PC, then you shouldn't re-set your APN settings. What OS/distribution do you use ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast