Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 15 (L501x)

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 15 (L501x)

Also I opted for the 6250 WiMax wireless network card.... are there drivers for this???

Beans

If the current open Nvidia drivers can't handle Optimus switching then the Nvidia should be always active. Since most ordinary tasks don't need acceleration Optimus would increase you battery life.

For the configuration questions, I opted to stick with the standard 720p as my eyesight couldnt handle the 1080p and on a 15" screen the difference would be negligible. To view full HD I simply output to a 47" TV .

I had no choice of wireless cards on Dell.ie so can't answer about drivers for the WiMax card sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Has anyone had any joy getting this running with decent performance on the NVIDIA card? I'm in the market for a new laptop but I don't really care about battery life as I hardly ever use the battery on my existing laptop (only, really while starting up before I plug the power in) and I want to fire games up (WoW, amongst other things) under WINE and so need the graphics performance.

I _have_ read articles suggesting that if the NVIDIA driver won't load because it's defaulting to the intel GFX card and you can't disable it in the BIOS then you can blacklist the intel driver and then the NVIDIA one will load fine, if that helps anyone?

I've also heard some complaints about the screens, on other threads, how do people here who have theire machines get on?

Cheers

MH

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Dell XPS 15 (L501x)

I'm considering getting one of these. Can anyone clarify if the Optimus problem can be worked around? I had an HP Envy 14 for a while, and Maverick was completely unusable there because the display wouldn't function at all, presumably because of Optimus. If I disable one of the graphics processors in the BIOS, will my display work then in Maverick? Or what else would I have to do? Thanks, Andrew.

Beans

Everything works just fine (at least for me). The "Optimus problem" is only related to the special power-management features of the graphics card. Apart from that, the display works without issues.

Beans

The status of my dell order went to "Delivery Preparation" Not sure what that means but hopefully I get it soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by procuste View Post
    the guy who post in hybrid graphics mail list answer to me if he have had any problem installing linux, this is the response )

Code:
    Yeah, I don't have backlit keyboard in Denmark either. I'm running a Ubuntu 10.10 64bit installation. The problems I've encountered are as follows:

- Not able to use a USB live installation. I burned a CD and it worked perfectly. Haven't investigated this issue
     - SD/MMC/?? card reader only works if card is present at boot time. I'm investigating some bugreports. Seems to be affecting a lot of different laptops, so there's a chance that it will get attention.
    - ACPI seems a bit buggy. I can't adjust screen brightness (at least not with hotkeys), I can't get a valid temperature reading, and it supplies wrong data for the battery (Claims it is not rechargeable, and only 5Wh).
    - Only able to run with integrated i915 graphics, but acceleration works out of the box (If you don't install nvidia drivers).

Ethernet works in both 100Mbit and 1Gbit. Wireless works in g, haven't had a chance to test with n, but I will in the next couple of weeks. (The driver used is iwagn, so I assume it will work) This is with the Intel 6200 wireless.
    I'm the one who answered on the list. I can add that 802.11n works, but only if you edit /etc/modprobe.d/intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf to
    Code:
    options iwlagn 11n_disable=0
    I guess the blacklist should only be used for an Intel 5300 card, but they use the same driver. Anyways, I was able to get speeds exceeding 54MB/s afterwards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunalpatel View Post
    The status of my dell order went to "Delivery Preparation" Not sure what that means but hopefully I get it soon.
    just means it is getting ready... in India!!

mine is going very great!! with the Nvidia driver...

i got the 1080

NOTE: there is a button in the upper left corner that disables the wifi.... I tapped it by accident and it took 4 hours to see this ?$"? button that fu*** everything!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPQC View Post
    just means it is getting ready... in India!!

mine is going very great!! with the Nvidia driver...

i got the 1080

NOTE: there is a button in the upper left corner that disables the wifi.... I tapped it by accident and it took 4 hours to see this ?$"? button that fu*** everything!!

Ahh nice. Congrats. I also got the 1080p. It arrives this Friday! As soon as I get it...Kubuntu!

Beans

I guess, may be I'm posting wrong....but can you please provide review for this DELL-XPS machine.....I'm also looking to buy the same....very soon. I'm confused between this-one and APPLE MACBOOK PRO-15".

Others, please ignore this....!

Any suggestion/recommendation will be highly appreciated...!

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPQC View Post
    Hi everyone!!

I just read that post because i'm like... exactly in the SAME situation!
    bought a XPS 15 and it is supposed to ship this week...

92 WHr 9-cell Li-Ion Primary Batt L501X
    1 Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz
    1 6GB,DDR3,2 DIMM (L501X)
    1 JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
    1 8X DVD+/-RW Tray Load Drive
    1 Metalloid Aluminum (WLAN) L501X
    1 NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M 2GB graphics US
    1 15.6FHD TLF LCD L501X
    1 Windows 7 OS Label,CNB
    1 Resource DVD L501X
    1 Standard Keyboard (Internal) - French MU
    1 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive (L501X)
    1 Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 MLANG CNB
    1 MCAFEE PEARL MUI,15MTH,W/O,CNB
    1 PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP
    1 DELL WELCOME,SW,DIM/INSP
    1 DELL CONNECT 2.1,DIM/INSP/XPS
    1 DELL DOCK CONSUMER,INB/XNB
    1 DATASAFE LOCAL BACKUP
    1 COZI-CALENDAR,INB
    1 DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
    1 DELL SPRT-CTR SW,64BIT,2.0
    1 WINDOWS LIVE SEARCH,CNB
    1 SKYPE VOIP SOFTWARE APPLICATION,CNB
    1 DELL SOFTWARE,ROXIO 1.0, CNB
    1 WIN 7 HOME PREM, 64, FR,INB
    1 EBAY-WEBSLICE, CNB
    1 Camera Software 2.X, Factory Install,CNB
    1 Fast Access 3.0 F/R App no Kit, CNB
    1 Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 (L501X)
    1 INTEGRATED NIC
    1 MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER 2010,CNB
    1 XPS WARRANTY SPRT, INSPIRON, INIT YR,CA
    1 HW WRTY + SVC,XPS L501X,SOL,INIT,CA
    1 RTD,XPS L501X,SOL,INIT,CA
    1 SHIPPING FEE
    1 No Mobile Broadband L501X
    1 Dell Bluetooth 3.0

these are all the specifications...And now i'm like.. worried.. will linux work good on it..?? UBUNTU 10.10 ?
    Last edited by mehta_april; November 24th, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast