Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acronis True Image

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Acronis True Image

Dump acronis and use clonezilla, had myself a lot of issues with acronis while clonezilla worked from the first time like a charm and did exactly what it needed to do ...

I used it to duplicate an ext4 partition as well
    Last edited by binoplaza; January 10th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_tn View Post
    this part is confusing. what is a "Seagate version of Acronis"?
    Western Digital and Seagate have their own free version of Acronis, but those free versions are specifically for that manufacturer's drives I think. So the WD version will image a WD drive and Seagate version would image Seagate or Maxtor drives. But maybe you just have to have one of their drives on your system.

As I mentioned, Acronis worked to image a WinXP partition with bad sectors because it had a mode to just copy the parts with valid files, while clonezilla would throw up its hands and quit at the bad sectors because it would only do a sector by sector image and could not read those sectors (unless it had some option I overlooked).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_tn View Post
    this part is confusing. what is a "Seagate version of Acronis"?
    I think it is like a preinstalled acronis that is used to make like recovery partitions on all new computers but I am not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Western Digital and Seagate have their own free version of Acronis, but those free versions are specifically for that manufacturer's drives I think. So the WD version will image a WD drive and Seagate version would image Seagate or Maxtor drives. But maybe you just have to have one of their drives on your system.

As I mentioned, Acronis worked to image a WinXP partition with bad sectors because it had a mode to just copy the parts with valid files, while clonezilla would throw up its hands and quit at the bad sectors because it would only do a sector by sector image and could not read those sectors (unless it had some option I overlooked).
    Quote Originally Posted by w1ll1am View Post
    I think it is like a preinstalled acronis that is used to make like recovery partitions on all new computers but I am not sure.
    This reply is a little long in between posts. Anyway, thank you for the replies efflandt & w1ll1am. I use both Seagate external drives and Acronis so it got my curiosity. I vaguely recall looking into Acronis originally because of it's association with Seagate but never used the "Seagate Version".

w1ll1am, and to whomever reads this thread
    ext* file systems are supported by Acronis TIH (True Image Home) with compression for full partition image backups. It works very well and is easy to use as the poster l{urse said. However full support is only for MS Windows. It needs to be installed on Windows to get the best functionality. A boot disk can be used but you may need to fuss that boot ISO with the Acronis staff after you buy True Image Home in order to get it to boot your machine if the hardware is newer. Acronis is extremely helpful and fast about doing so. I think it is money well spent. They use Acronis TIH at the Best Buy service desk near me to backup computers before doing work on them and I found a copy of the tech's version inadvertently put out on the sale floor and it was half price! I was blessed.

It is best to backup with Acronis TIH installed on MS Windows because it is known that a functioning TIH boot disc may not recover the saved backup file back onto the original location although installed Acronis will do it. As for specifics on Linux filesystems. Older versions of Acronis TIH, like mine which is 2010, will do full partition backup of ext3 file systems and older filesystems like ext2. Newer versions, TIH 2011 and 2012 will backup ext4 filesystems. Since Acronis is Windows oriented, the software does not include backing up isolated Linux folders.

That said. I think it's the coolest backup system for Linux since sliced bread. I just install Linux onto ext3 for use with my TIH 2010. What does it do? You can make a backup, delete the partitions, remake them to different sizes, then lay it down. You can dig through your partition save for files and pull one out at anytime, just like rooting through any archive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Addendum: After more experimentation I found some good news for Linux users. That includes making a correction to what I wrote above;

It is best to backup with Acronis TIH installed on MS Windows because it is known that a functioning TIH boot disc may not recover the saved backup file back onto the original location although installed Acronis will do it.
    That quote is NOT completely true!

I found you can use the bootable Acronis True Image Home ISO to reliably recover full partition images of Linux systems or recover images of your entire HDD and thus use this tool and still kick MS Windows out of your life entirely if you like. Here's how; If the bootable Acronis TIH ISO disk does indeed boot your hardware then it will recover any ext* filesystem it saved as long as the image to be recovered is residing on the Hard Disk it will be recovering onto. (TIH reads ext3 partitions when using TrueImageHome2010 version, and ext3 or ext4 partitions when using newer TIH software versions) That means you need a partition to put the saved compressed image file you are recovering and a different partition to recover it onto, both locations must be on the same Hard Disk.

So the good news is you do not need to install Acronis onto a Windows system to use it reliably for Linux. Don't forget, the Bootable Acronis ISO needs to be able to boot your machine in the first place but if you bought the software and have trouble with that part, the company will work with you quickly to get it booting. Where it does not work is when you try to restore a saved linux image through a USB port, from an external hard drive. That method did not work for me. I also recommend using a wired mouse for the procedure.

Thought this was useful because I read several posts of people wanting something similar to what Clonezilla tries to do making full partition images. Acronis may be more reliable, easier to use, and does not demand any Windows installations either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12