Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gparted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gparted

Hello everyone! I am a complete newbie when it comes to all things linux, having just installed ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop from wubi. Having loved it so much, I gave it its own partition and moved it over to a ext4 extended partition with a swap drive. So now Im thinking about completely removing windows and running linux exlusively on my laptop. The problem I am having is moving my data. I am low on space here, so I moved some data then used gparted to change my windows drive size and gave unallocated space to resize my ubuntu partition. Now, Gparted wont let me resize my ubuntu drive, probably because either the linux had to go on an extended partition and the unallocated space is on the primary, or because it is before my linux partition. I have included a screenshot of my partition as reported by Gparted. Any suggestions to be able to resize my Ubuntu partition would be most appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Gparted

Do you get the same issue if you are using a livecd - you need to have the ubuntu partition unmounted to work on it.

Try with a livecd - also you will likely need to right click and swap off /dev/sda6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I'm using the live cd, only booted back up to post this and to take the screenshot, but I didnt try to swapoff sda6, Ill reboot and give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well swap was already off in the live cd, it only gave me the option for swapon. Any other suggestions? Still wouldn't let me resize it
    Last edited by Dark Shinobi; November 10th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

It's not going to let you resize it because it's extended. You may be able to do it if you first resize the extended part (sda4), but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got a question here, I know Dell calls its Utility partition a Hidden partition in Windows but being sda1 would that not be a primary? If so I count 4 primarys, if not being sda1 in a partition why is it not a primary?
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

sda1 is a primary partition (as are sda2 and sda3). That's three primaries and an extended (which is valid).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    sda1 is a primary partition (as are sda2 and sda3). That's three primaries and an extended (which is valid).
    Oh, I see what he is trying to do, increase and extended which you cannot do and he has got 4 primarys so he ended up with dead space for linux just able to increase size of sda3. DUHH, takes me a while sometimes.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah unfortulately with that damn dell utilities, the recovery partition, and windows, I had no choice but to create an extended partition to put a real OS in. And actually, it did let me do it. I had to right click on the /dev/sda4 itself and click on move/resize instead of the partition linux was on itself. So problem is solved for now, at least until I decide to do away with windows all together. Thank you for helping me sip a little bit more from my first cup of ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    ... increase and extended which you cannot do ...
    You can resize extended partitions

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shinobi View Post
    Yeah unfortulately with that damn dell utilities, the recovery partition, and windows, I had no choice but to create an extended partition to put a real OS in. And actually, it did let me do it. I had to right click on the /dev/sda4 itself and click on move/resize instead of the partition linux was on itself. So problem is solved for now, at least until I decide to do away with windows all together. Thank you for helping me sip a little bit more from my first cup of ubuntu
    Yep - for anyone else turning up here - before you can resize logicals inside an extended - resize the extended so the unallocated space is inside then it will be available for the logicals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast