Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why Canonical should buy System76

Beans

Re: Why Canonical should buy System76

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Not really. Mac OS X's left side button placement makes sense because the buttons are on the window but the menu items are on the universal task bar, and closing the last window in an application in OS X does not quit the application. The usability on Ubuntu's left side placement is terrible. It's not just about left v. right. It's the whole implementation in the context of other parts of the interface.
    The switch was terrible, though. It threw off the muscle memory and reflex built over years, even decades, of using Windows and the major FOSS desktop environments. There wasn't any good reason to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by czr114 View Post
    The switch was terrible, though.
    I fully agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewthegreat View Post
    I would like to see them do something like google has does with android.
    check it out here. It would allow a choice in manufacturers and would encourage ubuntu preinstalled PC's at the same time ubuntu wouldn't have to do anything with hardware. I think that would be a win-win situation!
    I think that would be the right approach. Get a bunch of manufacturers to offer your operating system. Here's an interesting New York Times article: Google's Andy Rubin on Everything Android.

Like someone else said earlier, if Canonical bought System76, they'd prioritize System76 computers over any others. They would have to, in order to get a return on their investment.

Hardware is a difficult, cash-sucking business, so Canonical would be better off working more closely with manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    I'm not lawyer, but having lots of brick-and-mortar assets in the US could potentially expose them more to the litigious atmosphere that exists here in the States. They are currently exposed, of course, but only to the extent that the Isle of Man government is willing to care about ridiculous American laws.
    earthpigg brought up an important point. Shipping hardware with the multimedia codecs that users need could open Canonical up to lawsuits.

As much as I'd love to walk into any electronics store and have a bunch of Linux computers available, I think Canonical should focus on building greater awareness of Ubuntu.

Canonical should create demand through marketing. When enough consumers clamor for something, then hardware manufacturers will offer Ubuntu (or any distro of Linux) on their own.

I'd love to see a TV commercial for Ubuntu that said something like:

"What operating system powers most of the world's supercomputers?"

"What operating system do multinational corporations bet their businesses on?"

"What operating system runs the most smartphones?"

"Linux: what's missing from your desktop."

When I first got started in Linux, I was impressed by facts like that.

Or maybe the alternative marketing approach: show off a bunch of eye-candy Compiz Fusion effects. Wobbly windows, the cube, closed windows going up in flames. All to rock n' roll music. A voice can say, "Linux: unleash your operating system."
    Last edited by linuxforartists; November 19th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ubuntu is creating an ecosystem that creates opportunities and competition for many.

going the apple way, may create a somewhat better experience for some users, but it leaves out lots of players from joining your team.

Just look at android. Its already beating the heck out of single players like bb, iphone, etc. in marketshare.
    Last edited by madjr; November 19th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Not really. Mac OS X's left side button placement makes sense because the buttons are on the window but the menu items are on the universal task bar, and closing the last window in an application in OS X does not quit the application. The usability on Ubuntu's left side placement is terrible. It's not just about left v. right. It's the whole implementation in the context of other parts of the interface.
    after testing unity, now i see the logic with the left side buttons.

specially with the window-button-applet.

you will see that placing them on the right is totally frustrating with the new interface, but on the left they're a joy to use because they window borders and panel merge seamlessly.

anyway i could care less if they're at the right or left, as long as there is a good reason for the implementation. And there is a good reason: saving space by getting all "unity".
    Last edited by madjr; November 19th, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    after testing unity, now i see the logic with the left side buttons.

specially with the window-button-applet.

you will see that placing them on the right is totally frustrating with the new interface, but on the left they're a joy to use because they window borders and panel merge seamlessly.

anyway i could care less if they're at the right or left, as long as there is a good reason for the implementation. And there is a good reason: unity.
    Perfect reason to have waited until implementing Unity to actually move the buttons over.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567