Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB CDROM/DVD Device Problems on Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Re: USB CDROM/DVD Device Problems on Ubuntu 10.10

OK, will do a me too to the launch pad thing - have never done it yet!

Thanks for the exploration. Glad to know that things seem to be working nicely on Natty. So - I understand we can be optimistic for the 11.10 version

I also just checked with Lucid - and same as you: Data DVD and CD work, while the Audio CD goes undetected (no icon appears in Gnome) although I can play it with VLC.

I am still curious about Media DVD on Maverick - will check tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks folks for confirming this. I've been tearing my hair out over the past few months with this one. I've got the same adapter. Can manually mount CDROM, can't burn anything, won't recognize audio CDs. I'll ditto this on the bug page.

Beans

Not sure my problem is related to this one, but I suspect it may be.

I have three systems, all with identical motherboards (ASROCK X58 Extreme) and identical firmware (the latest). Two run 10.10, one runs 10.04 (and I'm glad I never upgraded it!). All machines have several usb disks on which they back each other up at night. The disks are in usb enclosures from various manufacturers, and the disks themselves are several models from several manufacturers. All are SATA-2.

About once a week, only on the 10.10 machines, one of the usb drives stops working. But not always the same disk, enclosure model, or drive model! It just stops working, usually with the disk-access light lit. The ONLY way to restore access to the disk is to remove power from the disk and then restore power. Most of the different disks seem to suffer this failure from time to time. Sometimes /var/log/syslog says it's having Reiserfs errors on whatever disk it is (which is not surprising). Doing an ls of the directory where the affected disk is presumably mounted hangs the terminal, and an i/o error message appears in syslog. Sometimes "mount" says that the disk is still mounted, even when the corresponding device (/dev/sd<whatever>) no longer exists in /dev. Power-cycling the disk causes it to appear at a different /dev/sd<something>, and then it works fine (sometimes for weeks) without a problem.

There are NO problems with the *very same* disks when those disks are moved to the 10.04 machine. They don't lock up at all, apparently. I repeat: the hardware of the three hosts is identical. The only difference I know of is that the reliable machine runs 10.04, and the unreliable machines both run 10.10.

I feel I have little choice but to downgrade the 10.10 machines to 10.04. I'm writing this to say: Dear Ubuntu Folks: There may be a serious problem with using USB disk drives under 10.10. The problem apparently makes unattended operation impossible. This is a bad thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TopicMapper333 View Post
    Not sure my problem is related to this one, but I suspect it may be.
    No, it isn't. This thread is about the optical drive enclosure, ID:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05e3:0701 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
    Threads about problems with hard drive USB enclosures are not frequent. I have not had any problem with any of my several USB HD enclosures in Maverick. I suspect there may be an issue between your Asrock motherboards and Maverick.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by taygan View Post
    Thanks folks for confirming this. I've been tearing my hair out over the past few months with this one. I've got the same adapter. Can manually mount CDROM, can't burn anything, won't recognize audio CDs. I'll ditto this on the bug page.
    AH HA! a partial workaround:

open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo gnomebaker
    Burning works through wodim using gnomebaker as a frontend in super-user mode.

Beans

I'm having this very same issue with a MSI CRE52-M USB external CD drive.
    Has anyone found any workaround for reading audio CDs?
    I can read data CDs using the
    Code:
    udisks  --mount /dev/sr1
    workaround posted above.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also have the same problem. I can only mount it using udisks and sudo mount. Either Data CD and DVD do not work (unless manually), haven't tried audio and video yet. I haven't tried it in 10.04 and older, because I'm already in 10.10 when I got this. I can't burn using Brasero, but GnomeBaker works fine (even without sudo). I could use it in VirtualBox 4.0, in Windows XP guests, also in Windows 7 installed in my computer. I also able to reinstall Ubuntu using this drive with the enclosure. The DVD drive also works fine if installed as internal.

lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0701 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
    dmesg:
    Code:
    [    2.403026] scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44L  SB01 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
    [    3.397475] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    [    3.397481] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    [    3.397778] sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    [    3.399221] sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: USB CDROM/DVD Device Problems on Ubuntu 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I'm posting this workaround for anyone with a similar problem who's found this thread from a search. I doubt the OP is interested since they have not logged in since posting their one and only post.

Have a look in /dev. If you have a machine without an internal optical drive, your usb CD/DVD drive will probably appear as sr0. If you have an internal CD/DVD drive, your usb one will probably be sr1. If it doesn't automount when you insert a CD or DVD, simply open a terminal and:

Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr0
    ... or ...

Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr1
    ... depending on whether you have an internal optical drive or not. Your disc will be mounted and a clickable icon will appear on the desktop with a 'disk' label.

It is not elegant but at least someone in the OP's situation will be able to read CDs and DVDs.
    This work for me. Thanks coffeecat.
    I have Ubuntu 10.10. When I connect my usb cdrom ubuntu detects and install correctly.
    This is what dmesg show my:
    Code:
    [ 2038.373076] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 19
    [ 2038.512312] usb-storage 1-2:1.0: Quirks match for vid 05e3 pid 0701: 520
    [ 2038.512400] scsi8 : usb-storage 1-2:1.0
    [ 2039.523802] scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T21N A100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
    [ 2039.547910] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    [ 2039.550255] sr 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    [ 2039.550873] sr 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5
    But when insert a disk the icon un My Computer disapers.
    Of course is not elegant. I go back to 10.04 because this problem, the hibernate and suspend problem and because my webcam doesnt work here and in 10.04 yes.

Beans

I also have this problem and the solution/workaround worked for me. However, how do I make it mount automatically when I plug in the external drive?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    However, how do I make it mount automatically when I plug in the external drive?
    To be honest, I really don't know. My first thought was to create a special udev rule, but the bug probably involves udev anyway. And please don't ask me how to create a udev rule. It's been a long time.

So that you don't have to open a terminal every time you want to mount a CD/DVD, you could make a panel or desktop launcher with the 'udisks --mount /dev/sr0' (or sr1) command. Not particularly elegant, but more convenient than opening a terminal and typing a command in.

The good news is that this device is still working in Natty. I tried it yesterday with a fully-updated Natty (we're just a few days off Alpha2) and data CD/DVDs, a music CD and a video DVD were all automounted. This seems to be a Maverick issue, but I am APPALLED that the bug I've linked to has been seemingly totally ignored by the dev team. I shall comment forthwith. Perhaps you'd like to comment as well.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast