Beans

Re: USB CDROM/DVD Device Problems on Ubuntu 10.10

It was suggested to me to run this...

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh dbus hal
    or

Code:
    sudo reload dbus
    It doesn't seem to help with any kind of automatic mounting of this device. But maybe someone who understands those commands can alter the commands to help the situation...?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr0
    Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr1
    ^ Worked like a charm! Thanks a million!
    I'm a PC too, but I run Linux

Beans

I'm posting this workaround for anyone with a similar problem who's found this thread from a search. I doubt the OP is interested since they have not logged in since posting their one and only post.

Have a look in /dev. If you have a machine without an internal optical drive, your usb CD/DVD drive will probably appear as sr0. If you have an internal CD/DVD drive, your usb one will probably be sr1. If it doesn't automount when you insert a CD or DVD, simply open a terminal and:

Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr0
    ... or ...

Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/sr1
    ... depending on whether you have an internal optical drive or not. Your disc will be mounted and a clickable icon will appear on the desktop with a 'disk' label.

It is not elegant but at least someone in the OP's situation will be able to read CDs and DVDs.
    Thank you this works perfectly ive been having the problem for months put up two posts and no replies so thank you ver much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Workaround to play audio CDs, you can do totem cdda://

Does anyone have a workaround for ripping?

Beans

Is everyone finding that the problem is solved with Natty?
    On my first attempt after the upgrade (yesterday) an icon appeared on the desktop after loading an audio CD and I was able to use Rhythmbox to play and rip it.
    ... but today - nothing - just as previously with 10.10.
    Any ideas?

Beans

Yeah, same issue on an upgrade to 11.04 32bit.

Not sure about a fresh install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@Rodski and @davidstoll, do you get something like this from lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0701 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
    It's the "ID 05e3:0701" that's important. This is still working for me in a fully-upgraded Natty system, but a fresh install, not upgraded from Maverick. If you have the device 05e3:0701 and it's not working properly in Natty upgraded from Maverick, that's an important observation, but if you don't have that device, please say so. Discussion of optical drive enclosures other than those with the ID 05e3:0701 confuses this thread.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks coffeecat.
    Yes I do have that device.
    Mine was an upgrade from Maverick (32 bit).
    It is intermittently working for me - I have been able to play an audio CD couple of times since by having the drive connected, with a CD in, before turning the computer on. However the computer has sometimes failed to boot in this situation. Still experimenting to find out what conditions allow it to work.

Beans

All I have is the 05e3:0701 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter.

I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 32bit.

Wow, this unity interface is quite a bit slower. I get a lot of "the window isn't responding" and my HDD is working overtime.

@Rodski and @davidstoll, do you get something like this from lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0701 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
    It's the "ID 05e3:0701" that's important. This is still working for me in a fully-upgraded Natty system, but a fresh install, not upgraded from Maverick. If you have the device 05e3:0701 and it's not working properly in Natty upgraded from Maverick, that's an important observation, but if you don't have that device, please say so. Discussion of optical drive enclosures other than those with the ID 05e3:0701 confuses this thread.

Beans

Still no luck with audio CDs with a fresh install of 11.04 (64 bit this time). Worked fine with a computer running Windows 7.

I've now given up trying to use the drive via the USB adapter and have installed it internally via the IDE cable - and it is working well without any problems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast