Thread: Odd workarounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Odd workarounds

I'm in the middle of installing Lubuntu on an old desktop pc and the keyboard decided to pack in (it's been on the blink for while). It was at the bit of the install where you have to input username and password etc, so the only thing I could do with not other keyboard around was to open crome and copy and paste letters from the opening google search page. Limited options for username and password though.

What odd workarounds have you done, like photocopying whats displayed on a monitor because the printer died etc
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Odd workarounds

No odd workarounds...Delete (wheres the delete post button?)
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

While building a PC I misplaced the on switch so rather than try and find it or bugger off to Maplins to buy a new one I used the steel shank of a Dremel sanding tool to jam into the pins and start the machine up for testing. I later found the switch... tucked in the top of my sock (yes I was wearing it all the time!)

Beans

just the other day i wanted to do a simple calculation which required a calculator, so i went to applications > accessories, but i clicked on terminal instead of calculator because i'm so used to doing so.

what's odd is that instead of closing the terminal and opening the calculator, i just typed python into the terminal which gave me the python interpreter, and performed the calculation using python's built-in calculator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had an old box I was setting up once that needed an AT keyboard, but all I had was a beat-up PS/2 and no adapter.

With a little reference from wikipedia, I cut off the end of the plug, separated the wires, stripped them and doubled over the ends and stuck each one individually into the pinholes on the server.

Worked perfectly.