Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I messed with Plymouth and now I'm paying for it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I messed with Plymouth and now I'm paying for it...

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. My Ubuntu is still not working. It erased my grub menu but I got that fixed.

No idea what to do to fix Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike27 View Post
    I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. My Ubuntu is still not working. It erased my grub menu but I got that fixed.

You can boot into Windows but not Ubuntu? It starts to boot Ubuntu and then gives graphics errors?
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 11th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro

So we changed what you did in start-up manager back to when it was a working system and we updated grub to apply it and we removed and reinstalled plymouth
    because you attempted to install a theme that was not in Synaptics. You replaced grub2 into the mbr. The first 2 were the last 2 things you did before it stopped booting.
    Well we better look at grub. This will give you the whole grub config in a file on your desktop to post here. Lots of users can read.
    Download this to desktop and then run the code below takes about 30 seconds. Will tell everything about grub2 in your system.
    Must be Downloaded or on Desktop and easier to read when you post (is long) put code tags before first and after last words or highlight and hit # sign in upper right.

SourceForge.net: Boot Info Script - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    And you have started in recovery-mode in low graphics mode?

And this below will give all your cards including graphics to other users to help get
    you running. Dells have proprietary drivers and lots of Dell users out there.
    Code:
    sudo lspci -v | less
    Post these boot script and cards. There are a lot of excellent users on these forums and these will give them the info needed.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 11th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike27 View Post

Am very sorry if the chroot code did anything to grub: It is code that has been around for years and just to mount partition in Live CD, install internet connection, install package from repository or update and upgrade a system and update the grub, no code to remove anything except replace plymouth. Have run 10 times since your post and have not been able to duplicate any problems.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; November 12th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Alright then, I think it's best that I just reinstall Ubuntu and not try to change the splash screen again. I need it up and running soon and the fix seems to be taking longer than I have time. =\

Thanks a bunch, I've heard bad things about the Ubuntu community before, but I guess that's all wrong. =)

To the drawing board!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just thought I'd mention that it worked out successfully. Thankfully I was able to use GParted from Ubuntu itself instead of having to use it from a bootable disk.

Thanks again!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345