Thread: ati dual graphics card switching

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy ati dual graphics card switching

Hi there,

I have an Acer Aspire 7535G with both an ATI 3200 and an 4570.

with the windows software that came pre-installed, I have an app called ATI power express witch can switch between the 3200 for low power consumption and the 4570 for performance.

I have installed the latest fglrx and the 3200 is working great on my new Ubuntu Maverick 10.10, but i cannot for the life of me work out how to switch to the 4570.

I have searched hi and low for solutions to this but haven't found any solutions. I realize this was mentioned here a while ago but there were no replies on that thread and I hope my question is a little more specific. I know that I have both cards, and the ATI drivers work smoothly with my Ubuntu install. I'd just like to know if there are any methods available to switch between the two.

I'd be happy to make a permanent switch and fore go the 3200 all together if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help

Beans
    Distro

Re: ati dual graphics card switching

I should also mention that I installed the downloaded .run file as an executable script as trying to build the package distro specific produced an error.

I have also checked this driver's documentation and it does work for the 4570 card.

Beans
    Distro

Bump because I'd really like to think I can get rid of windows once and for all.

Beans
    Distro

I have now managed to get aticonfig to recognize both of my cards as I have detailed herehttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10107490

but as yet cannot get the 4570 to work properly. I get a black screen in any instance when I add the card to xorg.conf. the 3200 still works fine.