Thread: Vidalia cannot start tor ?!

Vidalia cannot start tor ?!

I am new to Ubuntu and I've installed The Tor package from the Tor Website , but am not able to start Vidalia ...I am getting " Another Vidalia process is already running " !

The weird thing about it is that when I start Firefox I get the Tor-button in green and seems that Tor is working / when browsing to the " Is Tor working" page, the message I get is "Congratulations . You are using Tor "?!/ but Vidalia doesnt start or if I starts it shows in red and I get
    "Another Vidalia process is already running " if I click on Start Tor under general settings !

Is it possible Tor to be running without Vidalia ?

It seems Tor is running but Vidalia would not open and shows in the tray as a red crossed onion !! " You are not connected to the Tor network " ! Obviously I cant see the map or anything else through Vidalia ... Whats going on ?!

Any ideas what is wrong ? Suggestions are greatly appreciated ...
    Last edited by warphopper; November 9th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Far West, MA
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Vidalia cannot start tor ?!

I have the same problem and zero luck finding help on it here in the seems that at least with tor if you don't know your out of luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I seem to be suffering from Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure,please contact me in another plane of existence!