Thread: Can't install Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Can't install Ubuntu

Ive been using Ubuntu for about 5 years steady and been very happy until recently.

I purchased a new computer and have been having numerous problems...please help.

Firstly, trying to install gave me the error "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system". I gave up trying to fix this and simply disabled my Blu-Ray / DVD writer in the BIOS. This at least allowed me to install Ubuntu 10.10.

I can live without the optical drive for a while but not without wireless Internet.

I have tried everything...the problem seems weird because the driver appears to be installed fine and one lucky attempt out of 100 I could actually see networks but couldn't connect to them.

If I can get wireless to work that would be great. If I could get the Blu-Ray to work too that would be awesome

My PC is here.

Thanks for your help.

PS Because Ubuntu wouldn't install I decided to give Windows 7 a try (it came pre-installed) AND HATED IT. After only 1 month I am desperate to come back to Ubuntu. Thanks
    "If you were made king, who would replace you?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can't install Ubuntu

If I were you, I would revert to Ubuntu 10.04, at the moment Maverick is still so new that it may well come up with some teething issues

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There is no indication in the spec you linked to of the wireless chip in the machine.

If you can get the ubuntu install running, even as a live CD/USB please let's see the output from
    Code:
    lspci
    or if you install lshw to the install or the live OS, the output from
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    which will give some clue about driver requirements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lspci

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]
    02:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Hauppauge Inc. HDPVR-1250 model 1196 (rev 04)
    sudo lshw -C network

Code:
      *-network DISABLED      
           description: Wireless interface
           product: RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
           vendor: RaLink
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 00
           serial: 70:f1:a1:de:e6:5c
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion=2.6.35-22-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:17 memory:fe7f0000-fe7fffff
    btw thx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Check out the wireless troubleshooting guide.
    I recommend sticking with the LTS for another few months :\
    If you overwrote your other install It can easily be recovered with testdisk.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hi , you may need to enable the WiFi using the Wake command .. type this in konsole terminal ..

>
    qdbus --system org.freedesktop.NetworkManager \
    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
    <

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interestingly enough I took it downstairs and plugged it in and a wired connection didn't work either.

Giving up on Ubuntu, I tried to install Windows 7 and it said that I needed a drivers disc, which of course HP didn't provide.

So now I have $1,000 computer that is a paper weight.

I'm now gonna try other Linux distributions to see if they work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Rather than go through all this myself and try to help you that way, I will just offer you this link to a googlubuntu search on RT3090 which found plenty of posts.

I hope this may give you something which helps, but if you choose to look at other distros, good luck.
    http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&lang=en#783

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hi , the autoeth may not be enabled , hence the network settings in etc folder is quite relevant.... try nosing around a bit and you will be able to make it fully functional ..