Thread: Internet speed capped at 8 Mbps

Beans

Internet speed capped at 8 Mbps

Hello everyone!
    My problem is the following: I've recently installed Ubuntu 10.04. At first, I could barely connect to a WPA-encrypted network, but after I installed a kernel update using the update manager, the network itself works fine. The signals not perfect, but the bit rate is mostly more than 18 Mbps. The problem is, that the highest speed I measured using the internet was 8 Mbps (and that's the most.. it usually sticks around 1,5 Mbps), compared to 15 Mbps on the same machine, under windows7. I already configured ubuntu to use OpenDNS, as the speed was even worse before. My network card is a Gigabyte GN-WPKG. (By the way, before the kernel update, I tried to revert to the legacy drivers, but they wouldn't compile..)
    I'm quite new to linux altogether, so forgive me if I don't get everything for the first time. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Internet speed capped at 8 Mbps

Try to switch of the power saving mode of the card if it has that option. google the card and power mode.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply, but it didn't work. Nothing changed and I don't seem to get anything more than 1 Mbps. I also looked at iwconfig, and it says bit rate is 54 or 48 Mb/s, which should be fairly enough. Any more ideas? I definitely like ubuntu but the speed of my internet connection is important..

Beans

bump?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm facing the exactly the same issues as he is!