Thread: Resolution Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Resolution Issues

Hello

I recently finally made the full conversion from Windows to Ubuntu and I have to say I'm impressed, most/all of my games that worked on Windows now work on Linux (some even faster which I was surprised at! ) and I'm loving the look and feel of Gnome,

However some games are still giving me issue and although they work it makes the games far less playable...

1. In empire total war the mouse seems to be out of alignment with the one in the game so to click a button I have to click bellow the button rather than on it... happens when I start up BF2 as well but then I can change the resolution and it fixes it...(no-go in ETW)

2. I can't seem to run the game (ETW) on anything > Medium graphics which is disappointing as I can run it on Ultra on Windows.

3. May be a related issue to my first issue but on some resolutions in some games the panel's can be seen at the top and bottom with the game running in the middle and can't get it to go full screen on those resolutions. (I have a suspicion it may be due to my monitor "auto-adjusting" to the resolutions when the games start up...)

4. When I start Civ4 and some other games in their highest resolution the screen has weird bars across the middle that pixelate anything that comes under them such as menus and the like in the game. If I switch to a lower res and then back to the higher one it goes away but always comes back on start-up .

I know that I can't expect Linux to run Windows games perfectly (I'm already very impressed with what the developers have done with wine currently but I was wondering if there was any solutions to these problems which I have a suspicion might interlink...

Any help would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

Doctorzeus

P.S I'm using wine 1.3.6 by the way on Ubuntu 10.04, I'm not a complete Noob but am still learning the ropes as it were...
    Last edited by doctorzeus; November 8th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Resolution Issues

Since all are graphics related issues...

What vidcard/chip do you use?

If Nvidia/ATi, have you installed the most recent drivers from System > Hardware Drivers?
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Post Re: Resolution Issues

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    Since all are graphics related issues...

What vidcard/chip do you use?

If Nvidia/ATi, have you installed the most recent drivers from System > Hardware Drivers?
    I use an ATI HD, I downloaded the Linux Drivers from the AMD website...

Doctorzeus

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Resolution Issues

OK I managed to fixed num.1 by setting up the resolution on game start to the same as the one in the game so It doesn't have to adjust..all the other problems still occurring though...

Doctorzeus