Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Validate Certificate After Latest Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unable to Validate Certificate After Latest Update

Just did an auto update. Among the list of things was an SSL update and now I can no longer connect to my MSN account in Pidgeon. I get an error "unable to validate certificate, the certificate for Omega.contacts.msn.com could not be validated. The certificate chain present is invalid."

What do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unable to Validate Certificate After Latest Update

Fixed mail issue, still have above issue
    Last edited by onaridge; November 18th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I found a solution in this blog:

http://blog.andreineculau.com/2010/1...tacts-msn-com/

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Solution can be found here: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/12906

How to replace your certficate (the GUI method):

Go to pidgin's Tools->Certificates to remove the old certificate. Don't close this window yet. (You can, but it is easier to not)

With your browser, go to https://omega.contacts.msn.com. It will give you "Directory Listing Denied"

With Firefox, if you click on the lock in the lower right corner, you get a dialog box, where you can click on View Certificate. On its Details tab, you can export the certificate to a file.

Now, back on the pidgin Tools->Certificates dialog, you can add this certificate, and all is well.

When I click on the lock in the address bar in IE, I can see the certificate, but it won't let me export it, so I can't help you there.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't see the 2nd message so used the first message method. I just copied and pasted the new cert and overwrote the old one. I think it worked. Thanks guys!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ethos_dacapo View Post

How to replace your certficate (the GUI method):

Go to pidgin's Tools->Certificates to remove the old certificate. Don't close this window yet. (You can, but it is easier to not)

With your browser, go to https://omega.contacts.msn.com. It will give you "Directory Listing Denied"

With Firefox, if you click on the lock in the lower right corner, you get a dialog box, where you can click on View Certificate. On its Details tab, you can export the certificate to a file.

Now, back on the pidgin Tools->Certificates dialog, you can add this certificate, and all is well.
    +1
    It worked for me. Thanks.

Beans

Thanks Working goood

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried the first method and it worked without any issues but everytime I add a new contact to my list I am faced with the problem again and have to edit that file again. Is there a method that fixes the problem without it coming back when new contacts are added??

I am going to try the second method now, although I have a strong feeling once another contact is added I will have the same problem again... I will repost once this is confirmed; in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by magiceffects View Post
    I tried the first method and it worked without any issues but everytime I add a new contact to my list I am faced with the problem again and have to edit that file again. Is there a method that fixes the problem without it coming back when new contacts are added??

I am going to try the second method now, although I have a strong feeling once another contact is added I will have the same problem again... I will repost once this is confirmed; in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?
    Added a contact since doing method two; with no issues so far... although, the contact I added did not receive a confirmation request and in turn had to add my address to their contact list.

[The Day After]:

Once again getting the same error. I do not know know why this has been marked as SOLVED. It's a temporary fix imo.
    Last edited by magiceffects; November 20th, 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The fix posted in this link http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/fix-p...#disqus_thread has solved the problem for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast