Thread: Toshiba Fan not working properly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Toshiba Fan not working properly

Hi,

My toshiba portege m900 fan is not working properly.

I experience really hot high temperature when using compiz, watching some videos. (i think it is the gpu get hot because the fan is not working).

In my vista it's working automatic when temperature go up. but in ubuntu i need to suspend it for my fan to work. but the fan work only so low.

Hope there's some solution

Thanks
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Toshiba Fan not working properly

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

another bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a fix, but I used to have a Toshiba Satellite that had a similar problem.

When performing certain tasks (like displaying the local newspaper in Firefox), the internal temp would increase alarmingly, resulting in the laptop shutting down.

It was so long ago (6.06), that I can't remember if I ever remedied the problem before handing the laptop back when the lease expired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale61 View Post
    Not a fix, but I used to have a Toshiba Satellite that had a similar problem.

When performing certain tasks (like displaying the local newspaper in Firefox), the internal temp would increase alarmingly, resulting in the laptop shutting down.

It was so long ago (6.06), that I can't remember if I ever remedied the problem before handing the laptop back when the lease expired.
    i was losing hope for my toshiba to work properly but right now i use suspend for my fan to work.

Beans

My Toshiba P100 went the same after a recent 10.10 update (an update of 10.10, not an ugrade to 10.10), a few weeks ago.

After a reboot the GPU fan did nothing (sound has now packed up too) and I used the Nvidia tools to find the GPU at 100 deg C during some video playback. Back to the Vista partition and things were fine.

There are some other threads on this around, but I have never seen such a 'try this and see' approach to fixing the issue which nearly fried my (once upon a time) £1,000 laptop.

This is serious stuff to me and seems a problem that just won't go away for many people. Why the hell did the update screw with the power management settings? I'm not about to start hard wiring the fan to a supply since Toshibas sound like aircraft taking off when their fans are at full blast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

one year later and I'm having the same problem as you. I guess Toshiba's BIOS just doesn't recognize Linux/ubuntu fully, and there's not been any collaboration between them to fix this. either that or the problem has been completely ignored by both parties.

EDIT: model is Satellite L305D
    Last edited by Trotrot; October 31st, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by c00lwaterz View Post
    In my vista it's working automatic when temperature go up. but in ubuntu i need to suspend it for my fan to work. but the fan work only so low.
    I just tried that, suspending and waking up again does make the fan suddenly start running. it runs fine though, no speed reduction. so I guess any toshiba ubuntu users will just have to do this.