Thread: Cannot get 10.10 live CD to boot as a Virtual Machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Cannot get 10.10 live CD to boot as a Virtual Machine

I have KVM (Kernel-Based Virtual Machine) installed on my main system, which is currently running 9.04. I use it extensively for running various VMs (Virtual Machines): an Ubuntu database and web-server, some Windows-XP VMs, and for trying out new releases and new packages.

I recently downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit Desktop versions of Ubuntu 10.10, Neither of the live CDs will boot completely as a VM.

The CDs are both fine. I can boot a real physical PC with either disc.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot a VM using either version, they hang partway through the boot process (after the splash screen has been displayed, and them hidden again). It doesn't matter how long I wait; nothing happens. After a few minutes the optical disc drive goes idle, and there are no CPU cycles being used by the VM.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cannot get 10.10 live CD to boot as a Virtual Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Foz View Post
    I have KVM (Kernel-Based Virtual Machine) installed on my main system, which is currently running 9.04. I use it extensively for running various VMs (Virtual Machines): an Ubuntu database and web-server, some Windows-XP VMs, and for trying out new releases and new packages.

I recently downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit Desktop versions of Ubuntu 10.10, Neither of the live CDs will boot completely as a VM.

The CDs are both fine. I can boot a real physical PC with either disc.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot a VM using either version, they hang partway through the boot process (after the splash screen has been displayed, and them hidden again). It doesn't matter how long I wait; nothing happens. After a few minutes the optical disc drive goes idle, and there are no CPU cycles being used by the VM.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    In a lot of VM environments only the latest versions are 10.10 compatible, you are using 9.04 and the KVM version with that may well not be 10.10 compatible.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi David,

Thanks for the information.

Obviously, this situation is not ideal, as it undermines the ability to test a new O/S version before installing or upgrading.

I have anyway just upgraded my main system to 9.10 (9.04 support just ended), and I will try it again. Eventually I will upgrade to 10.something-or-other, but I am nervous as I had some problems with 10.04 on my laptop (had to re-install 9.10 to get it to work).

Regards,
    David (yes, another David!)
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by The Foz View Post
    Hi David,

Thanks for the information.

Obviously, this situation is not ideal, as it undermines the ability to test a new O/S version before installing or upgrading.
    Go to the KVM site and see what version supports 10.10 clients. When 10.10 first came out my VMware Player 3 version did not yet support it, I had to wait until VMware released a later version that did fully support 10.10 and now it is ok.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way