Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pidgin -- Blank Window (10.10)

Beans

Re: Pidgin -- Blank Window (10.10)

Does anyone know how to fix this without just removing the problem ? I want to talk to my friends on xfire. I've tried reinstalling, the purple fix thing above, i upgraded to the newest version (I think it's the newest version)... idk what else to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not really sure...you can check around for a different version of gfire. Maybe there's a PPA or something where there's a more updated version? Ask me if you need any more help!

Beans

I'm still having this problem (10.04-64 on i7-870, pidgin 2.7.7, gfire 0.8.3). Disabling a protocol isn't really solving it, just avoiding. I'm using the gfire and pidgin ppa's.

Beans
    Distro

Again, I'm not really sure if there's a solution and what it is...I never use xfire anymore so I'm fine with just disabling it. Maybe you can try filing a bug report somewhere? Maybe on Pidgin's launchpad (or gfire if they have one?) I really don't know where you'd go for this issue...sorry .

Beans

Found this thread through Google, and I'm having this problem on my netbook with 10.10 and my desktop with x64 10.04. Sometimes Pidgin will crash with no error message at all, not even while running it from a terminal. If Gfire is disabled or uninstalled, everything will work flawlessly.

Apparently the Ubuntu repos have a quite old version of Gfire. I just downloaded and updated it today and the Ubuntu version is 0.8.3-0ubuntu1, while the latest stable version on the Gfire official page is 0.9.2. There is also a Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu which contains stable and SVN versions, I guess I could try that and see how it works out: https://launchpad.net/~gfire/+archive/gfire

Beans
    Distro

Alright, if it does anything, post back on this thread so people that need to use gFire'll know what to do .

Beans

Well, I've been using the stable ppa version and so far so good, no blank windows yet

I guess it works at least for me on my netbook, I've yet to try it on my desktop with 10.10 to make sure it's only gfire's fault.

Beans
    Distro

Alright! Let us know how it goes!

Beans

Well, I'm still having occasional crashes while having one Xfire account enabled which is only solved by doing 'killall pidgin', so that kind of sucks. The only real solution right now is having no Xfire accounts enabled or uninstalling gfire altogether. At least for me that is.

Beans
    Distro

That's what it's been like for me, too.
    Hey, does anyone know whether or not this thread should be marked as solved? This issue was solved for me by disabling gfire, but for other people (who actually still use xfire), this doesn't solve the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12