Thread: I cannot delete files from my flash drive without reformatting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I cannot delete files from my flash drive without reformatting.

When I try to delete files form my flash drive, the file picture goes away, but the actual data does not. Lets say I put a 900mb file on my 4gb flash drive, then I delete it. It will still ll me that only 3100MB are left in free space. If I try to add more than that it tells me the drive is full. I keep reformatting and reformatting into all different types on file systems but nothing works. How can I fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I cannot delete files from my flash drive without reformatting.

Are you emptying the trash? If you don't empty the trash, your 'deleted' files are still there in a hidden folder. Even when you unmount and remount the flash drive, because the hidden trash folder for files deleted from the flash drive is also on the flash drive.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Are you emptying the trash? If you don't empty the trash, your 'deleted' files are still there in a hidden folder. Even when you unmount and remount the flash drive, because the hidden trash folder for files deleted from the flash drive is also on the flash drive.
    You can check if there is a .Trash file, by pressing CTRL-H while you're with the file manager (nautilus) on the top folder of your flash drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

They don't go to my regular trash, ill check my .trashes. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by amaruq_atka View Post
    They don't go to my regular trash,
    Depending on the icon set you are using, if you delete something on the USB drive and even if your regular trash is empty, the icon shows scrunched up paper inside. That's certainly so for the default Ambiance theme. Of course, it's difficult to see down there on the far right of your lower panel. Which is why I enable the trash icon on the desktop.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.