Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to start with Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Where to start with Linux?

I'm not telling you what to do, but I wouldn't delete Windows just yet . Get used to the terminal, and GNOME, and use it for a while... Make sure everything is running right... I would always keep Windows, but only for backup. Several times I took out Ubuntu and had to rely on Windows...

Also: +1 for what JustinR said. GIMP is on par with Photoshop, if not better.
    Have a nice day, Ray
    Dell Inspiron 1525 with Ubuntu 11.04 & Windows Vista. Intel Celeron 2.00 GHZ, 3 Gb of RAM, 32 bit, 160 GB Samsung hard drive. Broadcom BCM4312 Network connector

Beans

What he said, if you have enough disk space, start with dual boot.
    You said this is an old pc so you probably don't use it very much.
    Also, did you use photoshop in windows? In Linux you can use Gimp which is (in my opinion) way better than photoshop. You can even install a plugin that will give Gimp the Photoshop look and feeling. If you don't like Gimp, try CinePaint or Krita.
    They are all extremely powerful and makes me wonder how Photoshop is still around
    And yes, you can install skype on linux.
    If you want to check out the linux alternatives to your favorite programs, I suggest you check out this website: http://www.linuxalt.com/

By the way, welcome to Linux. I hope you will like it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ivarn View Post
    In Linux you can use Gimp which is (in my opinion) way better than photoshop.
    Most serious Photoshop users would not agree with you at all on that.

Also, if the computer is running "much faster" on an Ubuntu Live CD then there is a really major problem with the Windows XP installation on that computer. I have yet to see any version of Linux running noticeably faster than Windows XP or Win 7 on any of my computers. I do, however, keep my Windows installs tuned up.

Jerry

Beans

Most serious Photoshop users have never seriously used the gimp. They may try it, but they soon see that it's not the same, throw up their hands and quit. They have invested a lot of time in learning Photoshop, and don't want to invest more time in learning something new.

Windows is slower because of the required firewall, antispam, anitvirus, antimalware, anti-everything software that is running in the background, eating up CPU cycles on every task. There is no getting around that.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tenggiri1 View Post
    I have an older laptop on which I would like to try something different. I know nothing about Linux at all. The computer is running Windows XP at present. I want to use it mostly for surfing the web, e-mail. I don't download music, movies etc. I create and maintain folders related to my hobbies and also do a fair bit of photography. The most important requirement is the ability to run wireless broadband (ZTE MF633BP+ ) as it is my main means of communication whilst on the road with our caravan. I also used Skype.
    I don't have a clue where to start. I want something that is easy to use and fairly basic. Really appreciate any help.
    another option:

download Ubuntu Studio Edtion. its made specifically for media. i personally havnt played with it so i couldnt tell you any first handedness! but same as the other stuff download to a live cd or usb and play around. warning tho, iv seen this with alot of older laptops (i have a dell e1405) the wirless internet card sometimes wont work out of the box. if you intall and have problems let me know. this was a pain in the butt but i was able to get 4 computers up and running...good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Hi,

You said one of your hobbies was photography - a good program for photo retouches/edits would be GIMP. You can find that in the Ubuntu Software Center too.

I don't use anything as fancy as Photoshop as messing with photos on a computer is not a real interest, but often exposure, blue light, saturation etc. need changing and of course I can always make use of a good album. Thanks for the tip on Gimp.
    Thanks to everybody else who has contributed. I haven't finished yet and will post a few more queries - one at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Most serious Photoshop users have never seriously used the gimp. They may try it, but they soon see that it's not the same, throw up their hands and quit. They have invested a lot of time in learning Photoshop, and don't want to invest more time in learning something new.
    Please see the youtube video about the latest photoshop demonstration and then explain to su how to do autocompletition in photos and how to automaticly replace let's say a road with landscape. and to it perfeclty so that no one can even see there was some effects used. better yet why not make a GIMP demo of the same things they show there....

Windows is slower because of the required firewall, antispam, anitvirus, antimalware, anti-everything software that is running in the background, eating up CPU cycles on every task. There is no getting around that.

Ubuntu also runs firewall. antivirus is indeed a necessity but it seems you do not know that they only run when computer i idle or you can even turn of that if you wish.

the important thing is "tuning up" as was mentioned before. there are programmes that will do that for you (again when computer is not used/idle). as a result you won't get a slowdown.
    you are correct that windows is slower, but not for the reasons you mentioned, but simply because it works in a different way. for instance data is stored all over the disk (fragmanted) so you need to defragment it from time to time. windows also get's patched every months. the patches are usually not that big and won't destroy your system. Linux gets patched about every week, the patches are huge (broadband is basicly a must have to keep the system safe and up to date). the might even destroy the system. although it hasn't happened to me yet.

it also has higher system requirements from the start. Win7 recomended is 2 GB RAM i believe and 20GB disk. programmes bring their own libraries with them. but as a result windows works on preety much every PC (that meets requirements) you throw it at.

Linux to my experience is much faster. It boots faster and programmes load faster. system might be more optimised, but it is not supported as much by software&hardware manufacturers. as a result what you can do in linux is more limited to a desktop user. Light photo&video editing, browsing, emails and such linux is good. Games and some important corporate software stay in windows. this might change in the future.

i wonder what kind of impact smart phones and tablets will have...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123