Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Where to start with Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by phredbull View Post
    My machine is lower spec than that, and I'm using 10.04. After tweaking and customizing, I can barely tell the difference between Karmic and Lucid.
    Cool! I can't remember what exactly, but I kept getting errors when trying 10.04 and couldn't even get past the first screen or two. I have another machine running maverick so I'm good and didn't get too flustered over it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tenggiri1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do I need to load anything else along with Ubuntu? Does it include software such as connection manager, photo processing etc. etc? I was looking at Mint, Fedora , Ultimate Edition etc. but am still in the dark. Will these include software along the lines of Windows. As you can see I really am NEW to this.
    Hi tenggiri1 I would suggest you to get a liveCD from different distributions, they are all free, you just need to get a blank CD for each. Try the LiveCD first without installing it in your computer, that way you will have the chance to test everything to make sure every part of your computer works. By default you will have many programs already in the CD, like OpenOffice instead of Office, Evolution instead of Outlook, Firefox instead of IE, etc. the wireless manager comes already installed too.
    Good luck to you and enjoy.

Beans

Thanks to all who contributed so far. Is that how it's done? I have Ubuntu up & running on both my computers. will use it on the old one. I have had a look at my wireless broadband & Evolution and tried setting up an account but no luck yet. Have to change some settings I think. Even running off the Live DVD it appears to be much faster than Windows.
    I tried to open some files on my hard drive but keep getting an error message - " An error occurred while loading the archive" and the last line saying " Can't find the zip file directory"
    If I install Ubuntu on the hard drive will it automatically partition the hard drive & delete Windows without deleting my files with it ?
    Dont go away.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right, if your going to partition your harddrive back up everything you want to keep first. then read
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Pay attention to what Happytaft said. If you install Ubuntu back up your files. That is because you will lose them unless you install Ubuntu as a dual boot alongside of your Windows OS. Even then I would back up your files that you cannot afford to lose because you never know what may happen.

Beans

Unless your files are on a separate partition, there is no way to repartition the HDD and remove Windows without also removing your files. Back them up, and you can easily replace them after installing Linux. You may be happier with Linux Mint than Ubuntu, but it's impossible to say for sure, because it's really just a matter of personal preference. Mint is based on Ubuntu, with some tweaks and additional default packages installed. All it costs to try both is a couple of CDs and the download time.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans

Thanks to this forum I have Ubuntu up and running! Couldn't get an internet connection yesterday but plugged her in and away she went. I am sure I had a bad connection in the USB port I was using yesterday.
    It really runs a lot faster than Windows. Think I will delete windows and apart from files that I no longer need anyway, is that likely to cause me any problems?

Thanks to all who offered help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Welcome to wonderful world of Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Deleting Windows should not cause any problems, providing you have backed up those really important files to something external (CD, flash drive, external hard drive, etc) I assume that you are dual booting, so unless you just want to rid yourself of Windows in a hurry, keep what you have for a while until you are comfortable with Ubuntu. Enjoy.

Beans

The only problems that should cause would be if you found that you absolutely have to have a Windows program, but most can be run through wine if you need to. Make sure you back up you data (you should be doing that anyway, regardless of your OS) and you should be fine. Just be careful when (or if) you decide to format the Windows partition, and make sure you have the correct partition.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    The only problems that should cause would be if you found that you absolutely have to have a Windows program, but most can be run through wine if you need to. Make sure you back up you data (you should be doing that anyway, regardless of your OS) and you should be fine. Just be careful when (or if) you decide to format the Windows partition, and make sure you have the correct partition.
    Hi,

You said one of your hobbies was photography - a good program for photo retouches/edits would be GIMP. You can find that in the Ubuntu Software Center too.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast