Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deleted kernel

Beans

Re: Deleted kernel

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    Once you've booted into a LiveCD, you just need to open nautilus (file browser) and click on your Ubuntu partition under the places sidebar. e.g. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4...8775x558sc.png

Alternatively, you can mount it from the command line, if you prefer that method. Just run (so long as you're sure that it's sda3, and that the filesystem is ext3 - run "sudo blkid" in a separate terminal to check)
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt
    You don't need to worry about overwriting anything, /mnt is an empty directory by default, and besides - you're in a temporary LiveCD environment. Once your partition is mounted, however, any changes you make to it's files are persistent, so be careful.

Thx.
    That' s a lot clearer than what I had earlier.

The changes I made to menu.lst didn't "take". So I just did them again. Taking great care with my sudos and unmounts.

I will get back on this soon.

Thx again! At least by your method I think I know what I am doing!

Beans

You will need to use sudo to edit that file. Or you should use gksudo if you're using a graphical application like gedit. Also, make sure that you're editing the right menu.lst. If you edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, then that's the LiveCD's menu.lst, and the changes will be lost when you restart. Make sure you're editing the menu.lst in /mnt/boot/grub, or /media/disk/boot/grub, depending on which method you used to mount the disk. :)
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

You will need to use sudo to edit that file. Or you should use gksudo if you're using a graphical application like gedit. Also, make sure that you're editing the right menu.lst. If you edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, then that's the LiveCD's menu.lst, and the changes will be lost when you restart. Make sure you're editing the menu.lst in /mnt/boot/grub, or /media/disk/boot/grub, depending on which method you used to mount the disk.
    Thx. for your clear and concise help.

I finally got the whole system up and running again.

This time the changes worked!

And, thx to everyone who contributed (even tho I was too stupid to follow their advice).

Beans

Glad to hear it's all working again. Just make sure that you learn from the experience and make sure to update your menu.lst next time you remove old kernels. Or switch to grub2, which is supposedly easier to maintain than grub2 (I'm a firm non-believer here, in case you didn't already notice; I like my grub legacy and I'm not moving, but you may it's easier for you.)
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Glad to hear it's all working again. Just make sure that you learn from the experience and make sure to update your menu.lst next time you remove old kernels. Or switch to grub2, which is supposedly easier to maintain than grub2 (I'm a firm non-believer here, in case you didn't already notice; I like my grub legacy and I'm not moving, but you may it's easier for you.)
    Switch to grub2? Not if I can help it!!

I can get the old grub to do what I want, easily; but grub2 is not as easy to sort out.

To a relative novice, grub2 looks like a change for the worse where no change was needed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12