Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VLC Video output

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VLC Video output

BTW, check preferences > options > general > audio in smplayer
    Perhaps mplayer is okay now, but you just havent configured the audio right.

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    BTW, check preferences > options > general > audio in smplayer
    Perhaps mplayer is okay now, but you just havent configured the audio right.
    You were right again, my audio settings were not set properly. Now I have video, audio and subtitles. Thank you so very much P4man. You really helped me.

Beans

It seems I wrote too early. I do have a part of the sound, music, background sounds, but no voices. I see people speak but I don't hear them. I do hear for example applause.
    Tried many different settings in the audio preferences of smplayer but nothing seems to work.
    What to do now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds like its using 5.1 audio with a center channel and you dont have a 5.1 setup? If you dont have it, change that setting in smplayer. If you do have one, double check your pulsaudio configuration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Sounds like its using 5.1 audio with a center channel and you dont have a 5.1 setup? If you dont have it, change that setting in smplayer. If you do have one, double check your pulsaudio configuration.
    I really don't know what to do. I set audio-preferences to Stereo, to 4.0, to 5.1 and nothings chances. I set the audio-preferences in smplayer to different settings and nothing changes.
    Where do I have to do what?

Code:
    lspci |grep Audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Beans
    Hidden!

Your speakersetup is stereo? Check your (pulse) sound preferences, go to hardware, select your audiocard and set the profile to analog stereo duplex (assuming you are using analogue audio).

If that doesnt help, see if the BR rip doesnt have a stereo track (audio > track).

Worst case scenario you could remux the file to 2 channel audio but that shouldnt be necessary.

Beans

It really drives me crazy. I hear the opening tune of Columbia movies, I hear all kind of noises in the movies, I just don't hear the voices. As i wrote before I chose Stereo 2.0, Surround 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1 and nothing works.
    Who can tell me what to do here, I have in total 6 loudspeakers connected to 3 outputs of my audio card it it won't work.

Please help.

Beans

Who can tell me what to do here, I have in total 6 loudspeakers connected to 3 outputs of my audio card it it won't work.
    It may be time for a new thread - there are several people here that know sound issues well but the thread title won't garner much attention.

If your sound pref's are set to 5.1 (from the sound icon - hardware), then possibly check in smplayer as to the audio output driver, - I'd only use alsa or pulse.

If the audio stream is ac3 here is a decent test file to see if it's your settings or that particlar source material

Code:
    wget http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surround/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.ac3
    ================================================== ===========

For future use - as far as an mplayer ppa this is one to consider - updates every 3 days or so though one doesn't have to update
    https://launchpad.net/~motumedia/+archive/mplayer-daily

As far as vlc and nvidia - it needs libva (libva1), though vlc needs to be built w/ vaapi support, plus vaapi support in your ffmpeg libs
    Standard in 10.10, no idea about your vlc (from a ppa.?
    (vdpau in mplayer works better here than vaapi in vlc (maverick, though same previously in 9.10 & 10.04

Beans

Thank you mc4man. I downloaded the test file and it sounds good. The sound comes from the correct speakers.

At the moment I have set the sound preferences to:
    Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input

In smplayer I chose 6 Channels, (5.1 Surround)
    I think this should be good. Not all movies play sound like I would expect. Still I get sometimes background noises but no voices, or nothing at all.

What else should I do?

Beans

If some 5.1 streams are ok and others not so, I guess I'd look at the troublesome media files, - try to identify the audio stream(s).
    ffmpeg -i /path/to/video should provide some info. mediainfo could also be useful

for mediainfo (gui),either open and drop your file into the 'easy' view or r. click on file open with ...

Then switch to html view for more info, text view to copy from if need be.

If you see a eac3 maybe the more up to date mplayer from the link above
    (I hope you're keeping track of your ppa usage - disabling ones not in use ect.

And you did ck. that smplayer isn't using oss as the audio driver?

Edit; I'm off to buy a new keyboard - lost l and trying to figure ways to misspell so spell checker can fix is becoming a real pita
    Last edited by mc4man; November 6th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12