Thread: Unknown open ports

Beans

Unknown open ports

While (attempting) to set up ssh on a couple of machines (not this one) I've noticed that I keep getting some strange unknown ports showing as open on my PC when I do a port scan on its address. They are only opened transiently, they are all high numbers eg 33348, 41147, 50370 etc.

I Have opened no ports on this machine at any time and ufw is set to deny all incoming. Do I need to look further?

Bouncingwilf

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Unknown open ports

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingwilf View Post

I Have opened no ports on this machine at any time and ufw is set to deny all incoming. Do I need to look further
    Not necessarily. They'll be connections you have initiated. Possibly browser connected.

Code:
    netstat -tulpan
    might interest you.
    Brian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are using the portscan tool from the Network Tools menu item, you could be getting false positives. I've been waiting for over 2 years for upstream to fix this problem.

I would suggest using nmap and if you need a gui for it, zenmap, to do your portscans.

Beans

Many thanks - ports do indeed appear to be browser related + weather applet + cupsd - but I shall keep an eye on things.

Bouncingwilf