Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: AMD HD 6850 drivers

Beans

Re: AMD HD 6850 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Flipflops4life View Post
    @ Olof_ Oooook got it. I read the disclaimer as "10.14 and later" - I've been working on this so long I'm beginning to see imaginary numbers.

I'd like to say I've made progress but it seems I've worked myself into more trouble. At first, I rebooted after installing all the packages/debs whatnot and went to test the installation with the "fglrxinfo" command. It came back as "command not found"

I did some poking around and found fglrx and the rest of the downloaded package and they are installed according to software manager.... then comes my newest issue. I was poking around some more - I can't remember exactly what I was doing - but I think I went into >Additional Drivers where I found ATI/AMD: FGLRX or something to that effect and it was not active. Since activating the driver and rebooting I am unable to boot back into my GUI.

First - I have to get back into my GUI - how?
    Second - assuming I don't have to restart the entire Catalyst installation process what is my next step considering fglrxinfo returns no results?

Thanks for the continued help folks
    You probably typed fglrxinfo wrong and then borked your system by installing the (older) Ubuntu version of fglrx over your Catalyst 10-12. That's exactly what the instructions told you to do, right?

Beans

There I first installed fglrx via the additional drivers dialog.
    Where is "there"? lol sorry I'm not sure I follow. You installed fglrx from the additional drivers window? And not through the command promt?

... so I manually downloaded the newest and installed those
    Where did you find these catalyst drivers? I can't seem to find anything that I can use.

That's exactly what the instructions told you to do, right?
    haha you got me, I'm always trying to figure things out through trial/error - which is why this is probably so hard right now. In my defence there is no possibility of misspelling fglrxinfo because I copied it straight from the wiki. I'm guessing at this point I'll need to backup and reinstall the whole mess hoping that I don't leave behind any remnants of this last fiasco.

Did anyone else have the "command not found" after entering fglrxinfo?

Beans

Alright, I think I did a pretty good wipe and reinstalled everything. I still get the "command not found" error when I run fglrxinfo. Not sure what to do here, this is the same dead end I keep ending up at.

Also when I go to System>Administration>Additional Drivers I see that there is an ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver, but it is not activated. The wiki does mention something about activating this driver but it is at the beginning. I dunno it just seems out of order - I activated this the last time and got locked out of the GUI. I'm just going to sit tight at this step until some good advice surfaces

As always thanks for the help guys!

Beans

@ Flipflops4life

Download the linux driver from the AMD website at www.amd.com . Currently, the package is not available for the HD6XXX series so download the linux package for the HD5XXX series. Just go a couple of pages back to find out how to install it manually. You also have to make your own xorg.conf file.

Beans

@martunes13 THANK YOU THANK YOU! I knew I had to go back and create the xconfig, I found the command line I was looking for. All I have to do now is apply the water mark fix and I'm done CHEERS!

Beans

For the watermark, the portion of the script "DRIVER=/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so" depends on where fglrx_drv.so is located.

Mine is at "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/". I don't have this folder "/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/".

It could also be at "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/".

So locate fglrx_drv.so first using nautilus or whichever way suits you before saving the script. It probably depends upon how the driver was installed.

Beans

It probably depends upon how the driver was installed.
    You installed directly (i.e. not using .deb packages). I hope that doesn't come back to haunt you eventually (yes, I've seen it happen too many times).

Beans

@Temüjin,

No problems whatsoever. First used Catalyst 10.11 and now using Catalyst 10.12. No slowdown when watching flash videos maximized. CPU usage is still low.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by martunes13 View Post
    For the watermark, the portion of the script "DRIVER=/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so" depends on where fglrx_drv.so is located.

Mine is at "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/". I don't have this folder "/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/".

It could also be at "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/".

So locate fglrx_drv.so first using nautilus or whichever way suits you before saving the script. It probably depends upon how the driver was installed.
    Thanks. That helped me when I changed the folder in the script.

But I still have the problem with Totem: http://s003.radikal.ru/i202/1101/67/a0fbc979dfe4.png
    Last edited by YPwn; January 9th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi
    After the holidays I'm now trying to get full resolution...

The good thing is, I made it two days ago with a fresh installation (driver and xorg.conf).
    The bad thing is that after installing some updates (about 200 ) I have the same problem as before (page 5). Of course i could install new again, install the updates and then set up the driver, but then I will be scarred at any new update . Have any one of you problems with updates? What would you advice me?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast