Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How best to mount .iso to usb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How best to mount .iso to usb?

Hi,

The title says it all but I've made a bit of a mess of this. I have tried Gmount but it asks for a password (no idea what this is). I then tried Furious, which really isn't intuitive. After that I tried MountManager, which scared the hell out of me.

I'd just like to mount an ISO onto my USB stick (this is to install Ubuntu on my father's machine cos I'm pretty impressed with it and he is hating Windows 7) so I can boot from the stick.

Any clues?
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How best to mount .iso to usb?

Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Or try the Universal USB installer from Penlinux. It works great.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    Phenom 2 x4 955, ASUS M5A97 r2.0, 12GB Patriot RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD (Ubuntu),240GB Vertex 3 SSD (windows 8) 1.5TB WD, 1GB Gigabyte 6850

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    Hi,

The title says it all but I've made a bit of a mess of this. I have tried Gmount but it asks for a password (no idea what this is). I then tried Furious, which really isn't intuitive. After that I tried MountManager, which scared the hell out of me.

I'd just like to mount an ISO onto my USB stick (this is to install Ubuntu on my father's machine cos I'm pretty impressed with it and he is hating Windows 7) so I can boot from the stick.

Any clues?
    Click system > Adminstration and scroll down to the program called USB Startup Disk Creator. Use this program to mount your .iso, and if you don't have it download it.
    Last edited by dcsoldschool53; November 5th, 2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Correct spelling and adding more information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Hippy - Yeah, that's a bit more like it! Thank you.

@ oldschool and desperado - will try this too, thanks.
    Last edited by demonboy; November 5th, 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: to thank all respondents
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Hidden!

Or System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator, with your usb stick plugged in, point it to the iso in the top pane and select the usb stick in the bottom pane. It will use only about 700 MB of the usb stick and any extra space can be allocated to saving documents and settings if you wish to.

Edit: beaten by dcsoldschool53
    Last edited by yetiman64; November 5th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

A thing to consider as well is the BIOS requirements and the pen drive you use.
    I would advise that you use a pen drive less than 2GB as you can then format it as a FAT16 which most BIOS like.

Also I found with my VIA EPIA board that if I changed the boot sequence to scan USB ports that changes didnt activate until I turned it off fully and removed power for a complete reset. I tell you that was a most frustrating night trying to work out why the BIOS wasnt picking up my boot drive LOL!

Beans
    Hidden!

You should use Wubi if he is coming from Windows - atleast you can quickly uninstall Ubuntu if he decides against it after a while.

Beans
    Hidden!

for future reference : mounting an iso to a flash drive is not the same as creating a bootable usb

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by risegeek View Post
    You should use Wubi if he is coming from Windows - atleast you can quickly uninstall Ubuntu if he decides against it after a while.

I beg to differ. I would want to keep the OS separated as much as possible to avoid possible problems. WUBI only runs of a Windows folder, this is no way to test Linux. Moreover, many people get the wrong idea that WUBI is a real dual boot and try to do dumb things that get them into troubles (like trying to delete the Windows "partition")

If OP's father wants to just try out Ubuntiu I suggest either using a live usb with persistence or a full installation into an external hard drive. A full installation allows you to do things like installing proprietary graphic cards or system level update which cannot be done in a live usb. On the other hand a live usb is simple to make and fast (ilive usb is fast because it runs on ram, but a full installation into a flash drive would be slow, full installation works better in an external hard drive)
    Last edited by beew; November 5th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast