I always found it interesting that every distribution is named after an animal. In a way, it can also encourage users to extend the Ubuntu philosophy to consider our relationship with the rest of the natural world as well.

I wonder if canonical and the Ubuntu community would pursue the integration of education and advocacy into each distribution release via partnerships with credible conservation agencies and non-profits.

The project time frame for distribution releases and species selection make outstanding opportunities to deliver quality focused education and opportunities for advocacy via the ubuntu user base. Goodness knows that many conservation organizations are looking for ways to get the word out on major issues.

I can imagine three levels of information that can be conveyed with each distribution:
1) Species/family specific (ex. lucid lynx could have spoken to big cat conservation and been aligned with an organization such as the big cat rescue). This package/document/file and/or statement of information would be specific to each distribution. If there are any featured co-sponsoring/collaborating organizations, their info might be highlighted here too

2) Principles of conservation--general issues universal to all conservation issues (triple bottom line sustainability, biodiversity, habitat conservation, socioeconomic challenges, climate change, etc.). This would be a long-term package, document, file and/or statement of information that gradually becomes modified over a longer period of time. If there are any featured co-sponsoring/collaborating organizations, their info might be highlighted here too

3) How users can take action/donate/learn more--this too should be included with every distribution to allow users to follow-up with what they've learned

Your thoughts? I'd really like to see this happen.