Thread: gnome-panel Connected Out?

Beans

gnome-panel Connected Out?

Hello,

According to Firestarter, gnome-panel is connected out to an IP address on Port 80. Is this normal? I can't say I have seen such a thing before.

If this is not necessary, is there a way I can prevent gnome-panel from connecting?

Thanks

(Dell Laptop running Ubuntu 9.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: gnome-panel Connected Out?

Well I have no idea why the panel is accessing the port but you can always just deny that port....and I would also get rid of Firestarter as there hasn't been any updates on that in years...install instead gufw.

The code to deny the port would be..
    Code:
    sudo ufw 80 deny
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Use:

Code:
    nststat -t
    to see where it is connecting to, it could just be the weather applet.

This is what I get on my system:

Code:
    netstat -t
    Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:60339      pv-in-f138.1e100.ne:www ESTABLISHED
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:53482      feijoa.canonical.co:www ESTABLISHED
    tcp        1      0 Alexis-Natty:54127      xml.weather.com:www     CLOSE_WAIT 
    tcp        1      0 Alexis-Natty:57996      xml.weather.com:www     CLOSE_WAIT 
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:34431      px-in-f125.:xmpp-client ESTABLISHED
    Last edited by cariboo; November 5th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    Well I have no idea why the panel is accessing the port but you can always just deny that port....and I would also get rid of Firestarter as there hasn't been any updates on that in years...install instead gufw.

The code to deny the port would be..
    Code:
    sudo ufw 80 deny
    Thanks for your response.

I don't think blocking the port is going to do much good, unless I want to stop surfing the web also. As for your gufw suggestion, I have actually begun using a firewall called: GuardDog, which I find to be quite amazing. I want more simplicity and more control, as you get with Windows firewalls, and GuardDog provides that. The only problem with it is that I can an error message on the next boot everytime after I have changed the firewall's configuration. But I found an easy fix for that.

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Use:

Code:
    nststat -t
    to see where it is connecting to, it could just be the weather applet.

This is what I get on my system:

Code:
    netstat -t
    Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:60339      pv-in-f138.1e100.ne:www ESTABLISHED
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:53482      feijoa.canonical.co:www ESTABLISHED
    tcp        1      0 Alexis-Natty:54127      xml.weather.com:www     CLOSE_WAIT 
    tcp        1      0 Alexis-Natty:57996      xml.weather.com:www     CLOSE_WAIT 
    tcp        0      0 Alexis-Natty:34431      px-in-f125.:xmpp-client ESTABLISHED
    Thanks, that would be a logical explanation, but I haven't seen this happen again since that day. RKHunter and Chkrootkit both came back okay as did Avast.
    Last edited by howefield; December 12th, 2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: posts combined.