Thread: Where to place icons for Indicator Applet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Where to place icons for Indicator Applet?

I'm writing a program which is supposed to show an icon in the Indicator Applet.

The indication is created in C like this:
    Code:
    /* Indicator */
      indicator = app_indicator_new ("example-simple-client",
                                     "indicator-messages",
                                     APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS);
    where "indicator-messages" is a name of a sample icon. Icons seem to be stored in /usr/share/icons/<theme>/scalable/status/*.svg (and some other subfolders).

This <theme> is the problem. Writing my app I don't know what a theme the user will use. Is there a place where I can place my icons so that they will be available globally?

EDIT: I've already tried /usr/share/icons/gnome and hicolor. Doesn't work. My app shows the icon properly only if it's in the theme folder.
    Last edited by lampak; November 6th, 2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: indication applet -> indicator applet, +edit, show->shows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where to place icons for Indicator Applet?

Quote Originally Posted by lampak View Post
    I'm writing a program which is supposed to show an icon in the Indicator Applet.

The indication is created in C like this:
    Code:
    /* Indicator */
      indicator = app_indicator_new ("example-simple-client",
                                     "indicator-messages",
                                     APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS);
    where "indicator-messages" is a name of a sample icon. Icons seem to be stored in /usr/share/icons/<theme>/scalable/status/*.svg (and some other subfolders).

This <theme> is the problem. Writing my app I don't know what a theme the user will use. Is there a place where I can place my icons so that they will be available globally?

EDIT: I've already tried /usr/share/icons/gnome and hicolor. Doesn't work. My app shows the icon properly only if it's in the theme folder.
    I put my icons in:
    /usr/share/pixmaps
    because desktop and applications menus seem to find them there automatically

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Where to place icons for Indicator Applet?

Thanks It works.