Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update error

Beans

Re: Update error

Sorry Jonners didn't check back. All I did was go to the Additional Drivers (I think it was called something else then in the System menu) and remove the NVidia proprietary driver. Of course, this may not be your problem...note also that once I then upgraded it was a pain to reinstall because I forgot to include "the universe" in synaptic package manager and there was no helpful error to tell me that.

Beans

That's the drivers thingie... There are non in there.... Still stuck

Beans

Sorry to fail - I guess I can't help any more but my advice FWIW

If you are determined to upgrade (which frankly has not made any difference to me!) all I can recommend is the obvious that you are probably already thinking of doing.

E.g. copy any important app data files, uninstall just about everything (starting with the oddest stuff) while attempting the upgrade everytime you get rid of something you added. I did exactly that until I came across the nVidia driver. None of the standard Ubuntu Software Centre packages were the problem.

My mentality was "Think back - was there nothing that was a real pain to install and came from "Dodgyubuntuapp.com" but might affect something crucial (like interfaces, security or drivers); I have to admit that on those criteria I wouldn't have suspected nVidia as the problem but hey.

Or create a partition and install fresh or just install fresh...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tony221268 View Post
    Sorry to fail - I guess I can't help any more but my advice FWIW

If you are determined to upgrade (which frankly has not made any difference to me!) all I can recommend is the obvious that you are probably already thinking of doing.

E.g. copy any important app data files, uninstall just about everything (starting with the oddest stuff) while attempting the upgrade everytime you get rid of something you added. I did exactly that until I came across the nVidia driver. None of the standard Ubuntu Software Centre packages were the problem.

My mentality was "Think back - was there nothing that was a real pain to install and came from "Dodgyubuntuapp.com" but might affect something crucial (like interfaces, security or drivers); I have to admit that on those criteria I wouldn't have suspected nVidia as the problem but hey.

Or create a partition and install fresh or just install fresh...
    Tony
    You have not failed, the system has failed.
    I have a spare partition with Wubi on it, will probably use that. Am interested which parts of the current install I can copy over to make it similar config.....

Beans

OK good luck with that. You know there are a bunch of hidden data folders in your home folder right? They start with . and are hidden by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tony221268 View Post
    OK good luck with that. You know there are a bunch of hidden data folders in your home folder right? They start with . and are hidden by default.
    yup... I always show hidden files. saves making a great bo bo when deleting anything!

Beans

Wink Re: Update error

First
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    then
    I deleted "quiet" and "splash" from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and made it "nomodeset"

I then changed GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash" to "acpi=off"

Hope this works for others

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123