Thread: Looking for a Portable Device... Any Suggestions?

Beans

Question Looking for a Portable Device... Any Suggestions?

I was thinking about getting something like this: http://www.openpandora.org/. I don't necessarily want a gaming machine, I was just thinking that since it has 802.11g, bluetooth, USB and a Linux OS, I could compile skype for it and use it as a phone wherever I have an internet connection. Does anyone suggest any other devices for that purpose? I like the SD slots and would prefer to be able to do word processing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Looking for a Portable Device... Any Suggestions?

Take a look at Nokia's N900 phone. I use one as a backup when my Blackberry fails on me every few weeks. It basically has everything you need and I think it supports 802.11/n, but I am not sure.

Beans

The Android looks interesting to me as well, I like the Linux based OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk877 View Post
    Take a look at Nokia's N900 phone. I use one as a backup when my Blackberry fails on me every few weeks. It basically has everything you need and I think it supports 802.11/n, but I am not sure.
    I believe the N900 is b/g only unfortunately. But that's a relatively minor limitation in the grand scheme of the universe.

Anything in Nokia's N-series (N900, N810, N800) would probably suit your purposes. I've never tried using Skype on my N900, but I think it should be possible to do.

For something a little more off-the wall, have you checked out the Always Innovating Smart Book? It's a combination netbook/tablet/handheld device that looks kind of slick. It's not shipping yet (pre-orders are on now though). I ordered the first-generation Touchbook a year or so back and barring my terrible luck with getting sent two lemons in a row, it was a pretty slick little device.
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?