Thread: Bootable USB Ubuntu - flashdrive access

Beans

Bootable USB Ubuntu - flashdrive access

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 installed on USB. My problem is, that when I want to access USB flashdrive from which is Ubuntu running I can only see it mounted as cd-rom. So I cannot write to any documents I have on flashdrive.

I found this post http://www.pendrivelinux.com/sharing...e-and-windows/ but it's working only for Ubuntu 9.10

Could please someone step by step explain how to do this.

Thank you.

Peter

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Bootable USB Ubuntu - flashdrive access

Quote Originally Posted by gozo45 View Post
    when I want to access USB flashdrive from which is Ubuntu running I can only see it mounted as cd-rom. So I cannot write to any documents I have on flashdrive
    Assuming you are using the usb-creator, boot from a live CD and install to the USB, delete the file casper-rw, resize the FAT partition down to about 600MB and create two new ext2 partitions in the remaining space, label them home-rw and casper-rw. When you boot from the USB any changes will be stored there.

Beans

Re: Bootable USB Ubuntu - flashdrive access

Thank you viralmeme,

how big should be these partitions?
    I'am using 8GB flashdrive with 3GB casper file, so cesper-rw partition should have 3GB but how big should be home-rw?

Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gozo45 View Post
    how big should be these partitions?
    Resize the FAT partition down to about 600MB, then allocate the remaining as you see fit. Any new software installations will occupy casper-rw, so you could make this about 6GB, the remaining to home-rw. I only use home for config files so mine isn't that big. Here's mine on a 4GB device.

/dev/sdb1 566M /cdrom
    /dev/sdb3 1008M /home
    /dev/sdb2 2.2G /media/casper-rw

Beans

OK, I was not clear, my fault. In your Example there is also 600 MB part which will be visible as CD-Rom in Ubuntu. What I want is to have around 3GB from 8GB flashdrive just for Ubutnu (programs, config etc.) and other 5 GB should be normal FAT accessible from Ubuntu and also from Windows. Problem is that Ubuntu always see this part as CD-Rom so I cannot for example edit one document from Windows or from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you boot to a live/install iso usb, don't you find your 8 GB flash drive itself in Places? From that you should be able to access the FAT32 part of it that is not being used by the iso and casper-rw.

Beans

No, It's mounted as CD-Rom so I have no chance to write anything to it.

Beans

Please, help somebody this is exactly same issue as is solved here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/sharing...e-and-windows/ but i need similar guide for Ubuntu 10.10