Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bootable USB pen drive troubles (yes, I searched!)

Beans

Re: Bootable USB pen drive troubles (yes, I searched!)

heh. Your post and my update above were posted at the same time, by the look of it, lol!

Anyhow...

Re antivirus stuff. Yeah, that was my thought at first, but I cannot find any settings that would affect the BIOS or its ability to boot (or in this case, fail to boot) off the USB slots. Bleeping odd, that For what it's worth, I';ve got AVG, SB S&D, Ad-Aware, and ZoneAlarm Free, running under Windoze; Ad-Aware and S&D are as and when required to scan for certain things that I've been hit with before over the years (another reason to get away from Windoze), although the S&T "Tea Timer" is always running to protect the machine.

Come to think of it, I've had massive problems getting windoze disks to be bootable, so there may be more to it that merely AV/FW settings. probably needs some ca$h thrown at an engineer to fix it, and frankly, I can't be asked. I'll haul out the drives and wipe them with magnets than spend any more money under windoze

Re MD5 stuff. I'll have a look in the next week on that - no time today, unfortunately.

Heh. Close to two months for a CD from the folks at Ubuntu, eh? Well, it's a thought Nice that it's free, mind

Anyhow, many thanks for the help, have a great balance to your week

Aha - just spotted your second reply

I'm in two minds about Chrome; I seem to recall comments about it not being too secure (privacy issues) from a while back. Dunno if that was solid or not, but it stuck in my head. At least with FF I can run NoScript, Leechblock, and Betterprivacy add-ons, to improve security here (as the advert says, "Every little helps"! )

Anyhow, many thanks again, and have a great week

Roger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well i mean that some of your antivirus may have scnanned the iso and is now blocking access to the ISO file. just a guess. AVG is also known for it's false positives, though they might have got better lately.

my suspicion is based on the fact that i use avira antivirus and first thing it did after i created the USB drive was to have notified me that it blocked access to autorun.inf on the USB because it felt like it's malicious. i told him to ignore it but it happened again another time. the thing is this file was not malicious and is porbably there just to autostart Wubi installer in Windows.

then again it could also be some hardware issue but if you USB works ok then i think it would rule it out.

Yes, Chrome reports to Google. But not Chromium (which is Chrome without google stuff).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

(This from the train!)

OK, last point first - ah, I didn't know that - thanks Chromium will be looked at, then

On AV... the curious thing here is that it was the booting sequence that failed, BEFORE windoze started to get loaded by default. Bleeping strange that. Thoughts?

Roger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStenning View Post
    (On AV... the curious thing here is that it was the booting sequence that failed, BEFORE windoze started to get loaded by default. Bleeping strange that. Thoughts?
    there is either:
    - an error on your boot disk (error or boot disk wasn't created propperly for some reason). as i mentioned before AV could have cause this mess. to check this use the md5sum test.

- there could also be a hardware fault on the USB disk
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

From what you said in post#8, it sounds like you are running a Live Ubuntu session off of the USB stick. Not sure what you meant by "it runs under Windoze"? How can another OS "run under Windoze"? Did you install Ubuntu via Wubi? It does take several minutes, (or longer) to boot the OS from USB. I have CrunchBang on a USB, and it takes about 10 minutes to boot, and when I had Mint Fluxbox on a USB, it took over an hour to boot, though once it was up and running, it flew.

I think you're all good. If you like what you see, just click the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop...
    Last edited by phredbull; November 5th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
    HP Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 768mb, ATI Radeon m7500
    Mint XFCE, Mint Isadora Fluxbox, #! Statler/CompizWM, Mint Katya, Windows XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by phredbull View Post
    From what you said in post#8, it sounds like you are running a Live Ubuntu session off of the USB stick. Not sure what you meant by "it runs under Windoze"? How can another OS "run under Windoze"? Did you install Ubuntu via Wubi? It does take several minutes, (or longer) to boot the OS from USB. I have CrunchBang on a USB, and it takes about 10 minutes to boot, and when I had Mint Fluxbox on a USB, it took over an hour to boot, though once it was up and running, it flew.

I think you're all good. If you like what you see, just click the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop...
    I assumed he meant a WUBI install.

Roger, do you now get an option on booting to boot into Windows or Ubuntu?

If not, I'm confused?
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans

I think he is booted off the live USB. I read this whole thread, and there is no mention of Wubi.
    HP Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 768mb, ATI Radeon m7500
    Mint XFCE, Mint Isadora Fluxbox, #! Statler/CompizWM, Mint Katya, Windows XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I thought if you plug in a LiveUSB whilst running Windows, there was an autorun for WUBI which gives the option to 'Install Inside Windows'.

Just assumed that was what had happened.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans

Post Re: Bootable USB pen drive troubles (yes, I searched!)

Hello Folks!

Well, I encountered the same problem with at least two distros (Ubuntu 10.04 & Linux Mint 13).

Various solutions suggested here or there didn't work (Changing name of syslinux file & like...)

This is what worked for me:

1: when creating USB use command line (gnome-terminal)
    2: issue the following: usb-creator-gtk -n -s -i /home/path to the .iso/xxxxxx.iso (read the respective man page for details )
    3: press enter and follow the instructions (usb drive selection, root password & like....)

Yahoo! you are done!

Guys, it worked in my case when all other solutions failed.
    However, let me warn you, this is not bound to work for latest ubuntu release 12.10.
    It spit out "Boot Error" message without any description

So give it a try and post back the results!

cheers,

zak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Er...welcome to the forums, hsgeek.

However, this thread is two years old, and the release the OP was trying to install is now EOL. I'm sure the OP has moved on. And a moderator/staff will be along any minute to kill this thread.

Generally, it's best to stick to threads no more than a year old, as they will have more current information.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12