Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Quote Originally Posted by metal04 View Post
    It seems to me that there has been a "fix" applied to Wubi.exe! The reason I say this is because there is NO file located by that name in that location for me.

I am running a laptop (HP Pavilion g7 with Win 7 preinstalled) with a dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 (wubi install) and Windows 7 situation.

Can any one help me resolve this?

My son is attending school in Auburn, Alabama, USA and is using Ubuntu 11.10 (soon to upgrade to 12.04) exclusively after a major software crash in Win 7 and I KNOW he WILL have questions later.

I need to be able to help him and with this problem still in my way.............

I am frustrated with having to continually add the 'nomodeset' command to see my Ubuntu 11.10 install.

Any help will be appreciated. You can, also, email me directly at <email> if necessary.

THANKS!!

metal04
    Since 11.04 there are two methods of installing with Wubi. If there is no wubildr-disk.cfg then likely you used the other method. But this only helps with the very first boot into Wubi (to complete the installation).

After that first boot, you have to follow the advice in post #1 to either make it permanent by editing /etc/default/grub and regenerating the grub.cfg (sudo update-grub) or better, install the drivers your graphics card needs (run additional-drivers).

Once you are at the point where you are relying on Ubuntu or using it as (or more) frequently than windows, it makes sense to do a normal dual boot (data is safer).
    Last edited by bcbc; April 14th, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: deleted email

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

(@metal04: you should write your email in a way that it is not recognized by spam bots, eg "bgann36067 ATT gmail DOTTcom")

Beans

thanks a lot big help!

Beans

Yes...P4man, thanks for the good tutorial. Unfortunately, adding nomodeset to grub made no difference. It still boots to a black screen. I tried it several times to make sure I was following your directions correctly.

I'll try the acpi setting when I get a chance to get back to it.

Just to reiterate...my system will boot fine from the liveCD but after installing from Ubuntu and rebooting it always boots up to the black screen. I'm running a Presario V6000 laptop, AMD 64, 2GB ram and 80GB HD. A previous Belarc Adviser report (when my system was running Vista) says my VGA adapter is generic...or something to that effect.

I really want to get Ubuntu working...please post other options to try if possible.

Thanks!!

Beans

I was one of the unlucky ones who needs to set "nomodeset" and for that information I thank you! The continuing issue is that for people with nvidia cards requiring "nomodeset" to boot properly a new problem arises: the nouveau drivers will fail DRM and you'll be stuck with VESA capabilities, with no dual head support and some other limitations.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/...open_device.22

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...4?comments=all

So is there any hope for nvidia card owners wanting to use the nouveau drivers?? I'm open to any ideas. If I try to boot without "nomodeset" I just get a few colored lines and have to hard-reboot.

I'd actually like to use the proprietary drivers, but they don't work with my system for some reason. I think it is unrelated, as it loads fine but cannot properly detect screen resolutions / monitors. So it seems I'm stuck.

Beans

when i boot my grub comes up as such..

GNU GRUB version 1.99-21ubuntu3.1

recordfail
    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root dee23f2c-5012-403f-8b32-c596883e80e5
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=dee23f2c-5012-403f-8b32-c596883e80e5 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic

Am I to delete the $vt_handoff and replace it with nomodset or add it onto the end of the line.

Also, I notice that i have a line that gfx and was wondering if any of that or the other lines have anything to do with when I put the nomodset at the end that it continues to show lines on my screen after i apply it for that boot session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wish I knew this a week ago, this will be invaluable to me. thanks

Beans

I have a problem i think is similar to this, i wonder if anyone can help me.

I have just purchased an Acer Predator G 3610, and will in this respect install Ubuntu 12.04 on. However, I have run into some problems.

When I insert the installation disk, in comes a kind of dos screen with three options, not the normal Ubuntu installation screen. The three options are try Ubuntu, install Ubuntu, or check the disk for errors. I then selected Install, resulting in the computer is running in about ten minutes, and does so to a halt. I have let it stand for two hours, but nothing happens. If anyone has any information that can help me, I will be very grateful.

Computer Info.

Intel Core i5 processor 2320
    6 GB DDR3 memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti graphics card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Rogoshin View Post
    The three options are try Ubuntu, install Ubuntu, or check the disk for errors.
    If this is the screen below, your PC has an UEFI firmware, so you need to follow the first paragraph of this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

If any problem, please open a new thread. (and tell me the link so that I can follow-up).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hi

If this is the screen below, your PC has an UEFI firmware, so you need to follow the first paragraph of this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

If any problem, please open a new thread. (and tell me the link so that I can follow-up).
    I already have a thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2058178

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast