Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Beans

Re: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Hi,

Chances are this is something really easy and stupid, but I'll blame it on being a newbie.
    I got the 'Out of range' bit when trying to install 10.10 and have followed this threads advice on adding nomodeset. It's let me do everything as said, but then on booting asks for my login and password and takes me to a command prompt ie. iaintatam@supergibon:~$ rather than booting into the desktop. 'Welcome to Ubuntu!' it says - ummm...yeah...not the Ubuntu that I know from my laptop. How do I get from there to the actual operating system?

cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

"out of range" sounds like a message your monitor would display when the pc is setting a resolution and refresh rate the monitor can not handle. Rather then using nomodeset, try removing the "quiet splash" option in the boot options. That will give you a textual boot, and hopefully allow the graphical login. What videocard do you have in that machine?

Beans

Cheers for answering P4man. I've tried getting rid of the quiet (there was no 'splash' part or " marks on my grub boot), but that led to 'out of range' again, and nomodeset without the quiet boots you back to the terminal. I tried lspci once there again and I'm guessing the graphics card line must the the one -
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX200....rev b2) (there's a figure or 2 disappears off the side of my screen between MX200 and rev b2 on the next line). It's a pretty old computer now - partly why I was trying to move to linux, see if I could get it running a bit faster again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't know if I'll get an answer, but I have a new install, all new. Ran Gparted and tried to install Ubuntu 11.04, with a ISO. Black screen with white cursor in upper left. then nothing for 36 hours and counting. Believer it is the video card, because, and after restarting many time I finally was able to see "Searching NVRAM".

But how can I get into a terminal, there's no operating system on the HDD. The partition is /dev/sda.

Is there someway to just start over, wiping the disk. Going to the CMOS on the motherboard and switching the jumpers??

Help most appreciated.

Bob R

Beans

Step between temp and permanent nomodeset?

I am neither programmer nor software developer, but am both resourceful and interested in using this operating system (11.04). I once ran Ubuntu on a PC a few years ago, but whatever skills I learned at the time seem dully distant in the brain now (ust establishing my laymanship)

The modeset worked beautifully on the live disk, and I got it up and running, but when I rebooted after premanently installing the OS, all I get is a black screen with a thick, fuzzy purple bar. I guessed this was due to the same problem, but here I encountered a catch. I didn't know how to open the terminal to input the code provided in this tutorial to make the permanent change since I couldn't see anything.

Since my graphics card was the problem, I found what I needed to do here http://thedaneshproject.com/posts/ub...n-boot-solved/

Can you edit this tutorial to include the step between the live disc experience and installation that someone like me would miss as a regular user?
    Last edited by az-mah-ta-mahi; June 9th, 2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Found the answer I needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rmcban View Post
    For those who might be interested, here's my scenario:
    Dell Inspiron 17R, Ubuntu 10.04, would not shut down (hang) nore go into suspend (just did not do anything)

Started adding stuff to /etc/default/grub and hereis what I got:

nomodeset -> bombed and X would not start anymore. Had to remove it.

acpi=off -> shutdown ok (fixed) but no sleep options anywhere. Almost there.

acpi_osi=\"Linux\" -> perfect, everything works

Thanks to the original poster
    rmcb
    I just wanted to mention something about the acpi_osi parameter mentioned in this thread. What is shown here is the correct entry, and not what you'll often see. The back slashes are the proper escape characters to allow the parser to properly write acpi_osi="Linux" to grub. So, this is the correct entry.
    Code:
    acpi_osi=\"Linux\"
    This is often used when solving certain graphics issues and for me and some others it solved my fan control issue.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Would someone explain to me what "wubi" is? Great how-to, I plan to try those out on the eMachine with all on-board nVidia components (nForce 2 architecture).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kamakazi20012 View Post
    Would someone explain to me what "wubi" is?
    I guess a question like this is best answered by some self-studying. There are lots and lots of web pages on Wubi.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kamakazi20012 View Post
    Would someone explain to me what "wubi" is? Great how-to, I plan to try those out on the eMachine with all on-board nVidia components (nForce 2 architecture).
    www.google.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Mark my original question "Solved" I did not have a valid disc ISO, thus computer was waiting for setup information that was not forthcoming. Taking my own advice "Always check the switch first!"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast